Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver surfers

Silver surfers

I don't know about you but I tend to embrace technology as it enables me to access computers and the Internet is a lot easier.

I was curious to know how many people actually use a smartphone or a tablet to access emails or the Internet?

at the moment I'm sat in a comfortable chair in my lounge holding my mobile phone and purely dictating what is in this message via the voice activation software called Siri.

one of the disabling barriers that I have is typing. Maybe because I have only got the use of one hand and in effect is probably a finger and thumb on my hand. However having free voice activation software dispenses with the needs for a keyboard which has to be a bonus.

last night I downloaded Apple's latest mobile phone system software call OS 7 which was surprisingly easy. You don't really need to be a technophobe in order to be able to understand Apple technology as it's very intuitive.

Siri which is on the Apple products is actually very accessible and is really useful for disabled people as it's not just voice activation software it's like talking to a robot you can ask it to play records send emails search the Internet you name it can do it. Very impressive.

what's your experience of technology?
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 19-09-13 at 09:20.

my experience of technology is that it hates me and I hate it more

my computer mocks me I can hear it laughing at me

once I done something and shouted to my eldest "I've broken the internet " my eldest said "even you can't bring down a multi billion pound world wide industry " my youngest then piped up "give her time "

Well Acheron if you are using a PC I'd be exactly like yourself as I don't know how computers work and I don't want to know.

If ever anything goes wrong with my Mac, very rare, I would just restart it to sort its brain out. 9 times out of 10 that sorts most technical devices out.

What I like about Apple software is it doesn't come with a handbook on how to use it as it just works.

The latest Siri voice software is funny too.

I just said to my phone 'you're the best'
    Siri replied 'I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think any conscious entity can ever hope to do. Sorry, I stole that line from HAL'

If you wonder who HAL is it's a computer with artificial intelligence from the film '2001: A Space Odyssey'

I guess that's why they call it a 'Smartphone' -

I just asked it to tell me a joke
    'If I told you a joke in my language I'd have to explain it'.

I think it's time for me to go out and meet real people. lol

If it were up to me then a laptop and a broadband connection would be provided free to anyone housebound or elderly. It is without any exageration that I can state that 99.9 % of my time is spent either in this house or in the car. Even when we shop I have to sit in the car park in the car. An internet enabled phone would therefore be useful to me. Just cant afford one. My Sony Ericcson can make calls and texts and thats it ... but it is 9 yrs old

Tatty tat - you could do with broadband and a mobile phone or tablet - the whole world becomes your oyster.
    There are wi-fi hot spots for free broadband in most coffee shops and supermarkets like Tescos.

Your local college should run drop-in sessions for silver surfers wanting to learn more.

Let me know if you're interested in an old smartphone that is pay as you go lied to the service provider O2 - it costs £10 a month for the internet, texts and voice calling. It's an Apple 3G iphone

I wish i could use technology im pn my mobile phpne. My husband got it for me its a samsung something and i am the mad wpman ypu see pulling her hair put whilst screaming at the phpne uninteligably whilst stabbingit with one finger!

I thought until recently whenever i put peopleon hold inadvertantly that i was getting away with it by saying sorry poor signal. However my pharmacist said "no you put me on hold" it turns out that all this time spme woman has been dobbing me in telling my callers "you have been put pn hold please wait"! I felt betrayed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    If it were up to me then a laptop and a broadband connection would be provided free to anyone housebound or elderly. It is without any exageration that I can state that 99.9 % of my time is spent either in this house or in the car. Even when we shop I have to sit in the car park in the car. An internet enabled phone would therefore be useful to me. Just cant afford one. My Sony Ericcson can make calls and texts and thats it ... but it is 9 yrs old
    I am the same either in the house or in the car. I do have a smart phone, a HTC Wildfire, but it is on PAYG and I can not afford the roaming fees. The first day I had it I used up all my credit in less than a day due to the phone connecting to the internet all by itself. In the end I had to disable the internet so that I could only access it via my router.

I know that is some parts of the country you can get free hot spots but there are none at all where I live so the phone may be smart I can not use the smart part of it, it is just a Phone now and nothing else.

The HTC Wildfire is a 3G phone and is completely useless as we do not get a good 3G signal, only in a very few parts of the county can you get a 3G signal, but mainly it is still 2G. This what you call part of the pleasure of living in the Far North of of Scotland on the North coast.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

oh acheron,how your post made me laugh, and how much it reminds me of myself and my exasperated teen

I'm not a silver surfer..

My dad on the other hand..he builds/fixes computers, laptops and phones for a living. He knows everything there is to know about them!

Mum..not so much. So can work a computer but that's about it.

I own; Mobile phone(smartphone.), a tablet(yay, it fits in my bag!) and we have a desktop computer aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    my experience of technology is that it hates me and I hate it more

my computer mocks me I can hear it laughing at me

once I done something and shouted to my eldest "I've broken the internet " my eldest said "even you can't bring down a multi billion pound world wide industry " my youngest then piped up "give her time "
    You sound just like me . lol