Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoping to get a good banding for house transfer.

Hi BB. So sorry to hear this latest disappointing news. I can feel you are in a bad place at the moment (depression). Would it be possible to get a supporting letter from your GP (again), and go to the Housing office and request to speak to a senior member of staff? I think the answer here is to keep niggling at them, let them see you can't manage.

Thanks for your kind words susie.

I am going to write to the LHA and ask them to reconsider.
    I am hoping to see my GP the week after next to discuss meds etc, so I will ask if he can support me in any way with my application.

I just feel so trapped here at the moment. My partner works nights, every other week. During his working week, I am housebound as I am unable to get out on my own. I am on my own at night, which makes me feel very vulnerable etc. It is bad enough being in pain etc, but the depression makes things feel so much worse. I am either crying or cannot be bothered with anything most of the time.

I am determined not to give in to my depression again, but it is so hard to keep fighting when there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Really sorry you haven't got the banding you need.
    I think it is a lottery and when my daughter applied for a bungalow in our village she had one in 18 months, it's just right for her.
    I hope your LA favours you for what you need.
    ps I may have missed this but did you ask your GP if he/she would send in a supporting letter, if not it may help.
    Good luck x
    Sea Queen

I sent a letter off to the LHA last week asking them to reconsider their decision, as I felt the banding was incorrect and also the fact they had said I could only apply for a one bedroom flat or maisonette. Neither of these would be suitable due to my mobility issues etc.
    I asked if they had recieved and/or considered the medical form I filled in which gave details of my health and mobility problems. I also reminded them that my partner has to use the spare bedroom about 90% of the time, so we really needed a two bedroom property. (or an extra recption room where we could put a single bed, this would also be used by family if they needed to stay over to care for me.) I said I needed level access, no steps or stairs and a walk in shower. I also reiterated that I need to move closer to family so they can help with my care and support etc.
    I had a letter back from them today, saying my appeal has been accepted at stage one, whatever that means, lol. I should have an answer either way by 25th November. I am not getting my hopes up too much as I know there is a massive shortage of social housing. Has anyone else been through an appeals process regarding housing allocation and if so was it a favourable outcome?
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

simply mean that it will go back in front of a medical board and they will decide what banding plus what type of property you can bid on.

Thats what I thought mikey.
    I am just concerned that they did not take the medical form into account when deciding our application.
    I will await the outcome of the stage one appeal and if it does not go our way. I will have to look into what else I can do.

Well, I had a letter today informing me of the outcome of the stage 1 appeal.

Apparrently, they made a mistake in the original letter they sent me, it should have said we can apply for 2 bedroom properties!. I know this is not the case as when I signed into my account upon recieving the letter, it clearly stated we could only apply for 1 bedroom.

So, that is the good news, we can apply for 2 bedroom properties.
    The bad news, after considering the appeal, we are remaining in band 5, (minor medical need!!!), and we can still only apply for flats and maisonettes.

I am feeling very deflated, and very angry at the moment. Despite all the info of my mobility issues etc, they seem to have completely ignored it. I have told them I am on DLA, high rate for both components and my mobility is severely restricted.

I am going to appeal this decision now, but I dont know what else I can say to make them understand that a flat or maisonette is totally unsuitable.

I considered asking my GP for help in this, but as I do not see him that often and I feel he does not understand the situation, I am not sure he would be willing to write me a letter.

This is really affecting my depression now and I dont know how much fight I have left in me to keep appealing.

we can apply for 2 bedroom properties.
    The bad news we are remaining in band 5, (minor medical need!!!), and we can still only apply for flats and maisonettes.

I know it must seem unfair but you have to be realistic. There are very limited numbers of social housing properties that come available and any that do are based on a choice based letting system. Everyone is allocated a banding based on need. There are ground floor maisonettes and flats have lifts. Bungalows are few and very rare.

Alternatively have you thought about supported housing or sheltered housing as these cater for disabled people over 50/55. At least everything would be on one level and the demand would be lower.

The only other options are to try a home swap.

I can't help but think that even if you found a new place that it wouldn't solve your problem. I know it's difficult but you need to take your mind off all this by mixing with people. You might benefit from company eg joining a choir, helping out at a local club.

You need to build your confidence and self esteem to feel better inside. Isolation is not good for the soul. Please make the effort to find out what activities take place locally that you could join in.

you can do it -

I appreciate the lack of social housing.
    A swap is a no go, unfortunately. We have been trying this for a while, but the property next door puts people off.
    Sheltered housing is only available to over 55's here.
    As for the isolation, yes it is a problem where I am. That is one of the resaons we want to move. It would mean being near to family and friends, therefore, more social interaction. So, a move would be enormously beneficial.
    As I am unable to go out on my own, joining any sort of club/activity is a problem. Also, I am not good with people I do not know due to mental health issues.
    I am not against flats, but having lived in a flat previously which caused endless problems due to neighbours with drug and alcohol problems, it had a severe effect on my mental health. Maisonettes would be a problem, even ground floor ones, due to stairs. If we could apply for a ground floor flat in a sheltered complex, that would be fine.
    Like I say, I am going to write again and ask for them to reconsider. I will also ask if there is a chance we could be considered for sheltered accommodation. (I am 50, so not too far away, lol)

something you could consider instead of just trying to get a higher banding on medical grounds is to look at the criteria for each banding and see if anything applies then aim for that.

when we appealed we only went up one banding, this wasn't just based on medical but on neighbour and state of property which was still low but just then looked out for properties where no one else was bidding.

also as lighttouch mentions think about applying with as many HA as possible to give your self more of a chance then you are not limiting your options.