Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoping to get a good banding for house transfer.

We decided on a bungalow 30 years ago. Could never stand stairs, I was always forgetting things and going up and down them like a yo yo. As well as carting a hoover up and down them. Or carting the laudry up and down. We also had large breed dogs and stairs are a problem for them.

Best decison ever as I can't get up stairs now , but don't need to move. Hope you get sorted soon, it will make a huge difference for you in just simple day to day life.

Thanks sfu.
    We are waiting to hear back from them after sending all the forms in. Hopefully it will be good news.
    As you say, it will make a huge difference.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

blu they will send your forms in front of a board by rights then a banding will be made, we first ended up in a low banding which meant no chance of a place until i looked at the papers and saw that the housing officer had totally missed our medical section so with this i went online and it only took 2 hours to sort out but in the end things turned out good with the offer of a bungalow.

if you end up in wrong banding then do fight to get it changed, fingers crossed for a good outcome.

I've always gone for level access homes - it's one less barrier. Started off with a shared ownership two bed flat, then a two bed semi bungalow and for the last 23 years a three deb bungalow which you might think too big for me but I rent a room out which covers all the household bills.

I should think when you put your name on the social housing register they will look at your medical need and perhaps suggested either warden assisted living or sheltered accommodation as there's usualy a better chance of getting this type of home.

The way it seems to work these days is that you have to be pro-active and put a bid infer a home. The one with the most points wins. I think it's called 'choice-based letting'.

The quickest way to move is by doing a straight home swop with someone on the register. http://www.houseexchange.org.uk

I just checked Cornwall and there's a two bed ground floor wheelchair accessible in Bodmin but the present tenants want to live within 10 miles of Bodmin - drat! http://www.houseexchange.org.uk/find...px?pid=2675869
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 22-09-13 at 09:49.

Since the bed room tax as come in it's harder to get a 2 bed property, i've been on housing association lists for years and been able to bid on 2 bed properties though never been high enough up the list but since the bedroom tax i've noticed i couldn't bid on 2 bed properties i've spoken to a few people in same situ and it seems people on benefits aren't eligable to bid on 2 beds but those that are from working homes can so with your partner working you should be ok and local connection really helps too. Good luck hope you get what you want and need

I wish you the best of luck it is a lottery and hopefully you will be more successful than my sister.Social housing around here is rather scarce.
    My sister has been on the local HA list for a couple of years. She is currently in a private rented property in a high crime rate area which is getting increasingly worse. I warned her the letting side of the HA are useless and she has had no end of problems.When she first applied she stood a small chance of getting a property but then they changed their system and she has been moved to almost bottom of the banding list.

They awarded her the lowest medical points possible and she has been trying to get the points changed ever since she went on the list.She is agoraphobic with panic attacks and social phobia and the area she is in is making her worse.It took me 14 years with the same HA over twice as long as any other person on the list to get an HA property.The private rented house I was in was awarded a cat A by an environmental health officer. The HA then panicked and by magic we had a house in two weeks what a surprise.I will say the HA have been very good once we got a property but they know what I did for a living.

HA's and councils ask you to bid if you have the highest points you get the property unless you have the same points as someone else then the person who has been on the list the longest wins.

Thank you to everyone for your support, info and good wishes.

Mikey, I filled in the usual application online, they then sent me separate local connection and medical forms to fill in, so hopefully they will have all the info they need. I also said that if they needed to do a home visit to assess me that would be welcomed.

Lighttouch, I have already tried the the exchange route. Sadly, people in the area we need/want to get to do not want to exchange this way. Also, as the house next door is a half-way house/emergency accom, it has blighted our chances even more.

Freedomeagle, I hope that will be the case and that we are allowed to bid on 2 bed properties. As my partner spends more than 50% of his time sleeping in the spare bedroom due to my problems and his work, I hope this will also go in our favour.

gus, as you say. it can be a lottery. We all know there is not enough social housing to go round for all who want/need it. So, it makes sense to use a banding system, but it does not always seem to be fair or work as it should.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Well, I had a letter from the LHA this week. I am extremely disappointed, upset and confused.
    Despite sending in a medical form, telling them I am high rates for both components of DLA, I have been placed in band 5. If that is not bad enough, I am told I can only apply for flats and maisonettes!! What is the point. I cannot mange stairs where I am, have to spend majority of time upstairs because of this and also needing to be near bathroom. Also, I told them I have a dog, which looking on their website, dogs are not accepted in the majority of flats. My mental health deteriorated last time I lived in a flat as the noise etc was too much.
    I did ask to be considered for a 2 bed, (I am in a 2 bed now) as I need a room for someone to stay over when my partner is working nights, also my partner uses the spare room most of the time when not working. I can sort of understand them saying I only qualify for a 1 bed, but not sure how I would manage without room for spare bed for partner/carer.
    I am going to write to them asking if they actually read my medical forms and to reconsider. I am not holding out much hope though.

Hi babyblue, sorry to hear your disappointing news. It really doesn't surprise me that you have been put in a low band. Choice based letting is about housing need. The fact that you're already housed goes against you.

the easiest way to move is through a house swap

good luck

Hi LT
    I have been trying to swap for ages, but nobody interested.
    I can understand what you are saying about housing need and I am already housed etc, but the property is really not suitable with my mobility etc. I explained all this on my application and medical forms etc, but it has fallen on deaf ears it seems.
    Maybe I am wrong in thinking that if I am unable to use the bath, stairs etc, then that is a need to move? There would be no point in trying to get adaptations done through the council. I have been assessed by adult social care and basically they said, "yes you have a need, but there is no money in the pot and you have your partner to look after you".
    I am getting so depressed now and hate to think where my depression will take me.