Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoping to get a good banding for house transfer.

Hoping to get a good banding for house transfer.

Well, I have taken the plunge and applied to move. At the moment we are in a council house, which I cannot cope with and I really need a bungalow or adapted house. So I have applied to a local housing association to move. This would mean being nearer to family who could help with care and support.

I filled in the form online, they then sent me 2 forms to complete.
    One was for a local connection to the area. No problem, my partner lived in the area all his life until 2 years ago, his family still live there and his job is also in the area.
    The other form was a medical one. I filled this in and also enclosed 2 pages of extra info, going into more detail of my problems and how they affect me in our current house.

It says on their website that couples are usually only considered for one bedroom properties which is understandable. They do, however, make exceptions for medical/mobility reasons. I explained that my partner sleeps in the spare room most of the time due to my problems.

Now, I am waiting for a reply to see if we have been accepted on the register and which banding we will get.
    Keeping everything crossed for a positive result.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Fingers crossed for you BB. A 2 bed bungalow will be life changing for you

Thanks susie.
    It would indeed make an enormous difference to me. It would make daily life easier, no stairs, able to get to the loo on time, lol.

The other thing would be feeling less isolated, which is a major problem. My partner works nights, a week on, week off. When he is working I feel very vulnerable. The family are too far away to be able to stay over, give support etc. Due to my mental health issues, I am unable to have anyone I don't know providing care, let alone stay overnight. This, combined with unable to go out alone makes it hard to make new friends etc. I just fall apart meeting new people even when my partner is with me. I know I am getting to the stage of agarophobia again and its scary. I managed to wean myself off anti-depressants over a year ago but I know that I need to go back on them as I cannot cope.
    Being next door to a halfway house certainly does not help as it is taking an enormous toll on my mental health also.
    With my physical health and mobility continuing to deteriorate, it adds up to a whole lot of problems.

I will keep you posted on progress. x
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

hope it goes welL for BB64 and you get somewhere really nice and close to your family xx

Thanks acheron.
    I know it will make all the difference. Not just to me but my partner also as he is my only carer at the moment as well as working. x

In a similar situation here hun. We have a 17 yr old daughter who will leave for University next year. My wife is a carer and sleeps in the room next to me as my broken fitful sleep and Bipap make it impossible for her to share a bed (no sexy time here *sniff* ) Our current home is a 3 bed housing assoc semi. I am now struggling with the stairs and this is getting progressively sorese so we are currently on the list for a 2 bed bungalow.

Good luck with your hunt x

I know what you mean Tatty.
    I use a CPAP machine, when I can sleep. Most nights I just doze here and there due to pain continually waking me.
    The stairs are a major problem. Adult social care provided a second bannister just after we moved in, I asked for a stairlift but no joy. The bannister is no help at all. I also asked for a shower but did not get one, (we currently use a low pressure shower that attaches to the taps, so its not very good). I have a swivel bather seat over the bath, but can only use it with help from my partner and then he has to help wash me
    I feel like I am losing any independence I had and I hate having to rely on my partner for everything.
    If we could just get a bungalow with a shower/wet room and some other adaptations, I think I would regain some of my independence.

Sadly I get the feeling that the amount of help you get is another post code lottery. My sixth sense tells me that once our daughter leaves home we will be added to the "forget about them list" even though my dependence increases year on year

I think you are right Tatty.
    Social care budgets are being cut left, right and centre. I do think it is dependent on where you live. When I lived in Cornwall, they were brilliant. (not sure this would still be the case though as their budgets have probably been cut also).
    The last person from adult social care here that came out could hardly be bothered. She asked what my problems were, did not seem very understanding and basically said, whatever I needed they could not provide. She did not ask to see me trying to get up the stairs, how difficult it was to use the shower/bath and showed no empathy at all. (perhaps she should work for ATOS, lol.
    I think being sick/disabled is bad enough, now they try to take us off benefits, and leave us on the scrapheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    In a similar situation here hun. We have a 17 yr old daughter who will leave for University next year. My wife is a carer and sleeps in the room next to me as my broken fitful sleep and Bipap make it impossible for her to share a bed (no sexy time here *sniff* ) Our current home is a 3 bed housing assoc semi. I am now struggling with the stairs and this is getting progressively sorese so we are currently on the list for a 2 bed bungalow.

Good luck with your hunt x
    Have you considered an exchange?