Thread: Motability for new driver

irishderry

Motability for new driver

Hi there, my mother is currently in receipt of high rate mobility allowance and has asked me to complete my lessons in order to get her out and about a bit more. I have just passed my test last week and was now looking to go get a mobility car but a friend has told me that you must hold a licence for 2 years or more before you can become a named driver. I have checked the motability website but I cannot see it anywhere. Does anyone know if this is true? the purpose of me doing my test was for this reason and I would be dissapointed if I spent £1000 on lessons for nothing.

Account removed
    OK you pasted the test for your self, and now you have a license so well done, remember although you will be driving you mothers car from motability you have to be careful if you use it for your self.

So here we go
    I'm not a 100 sure, I do think if your a new driver then to drive a mobility car after you have just passed a test even for a named driver you have to do extra test called Pass Plus (I think.) This is done with the AA it not so much a driving test but a system to ensure your able to drive safely. Once you have done that your mother can order a car, remember the car is your mothers, and the tax disc rules have to be met, otherwise I believe your off and running.Now then engine size and insurance group, your not allowed by Law to drive a vehicle with a large engine so ask about what car your allowed to drive I believe it's about a 1.6 ltre and below, but ask the garage to check.

In order to protect the Scheme, there are a few rules surrounding who can drive your car.

Named drivers should live within five miles of the disabled customer’s address. We will, however, consider requests to include drivers outside of this range where this is essential to support the customer’s mobility needs
    Drivers under 25 are restricted to cars with an ABI Insurance Group 16 or lower and with a power output of 115 brakehorse power (BHP) or less (this does not apply to Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles). It is therefore important to consider whether you will require a driver aged under 25 during your lease before you choose your car. For more information on which cars are suitable, speak to your dealer or look up the car details on the Car Search
    Only one named driver under 21 is permitted – this could be the disabled customer, or another driver living at the same address
    We will only accept drivers who have a legally valid driving licence. Drivers with a non-UK driving licence will be subject to additional checks.

Proposed drivers with certain convictions, disqualifications or endorsements within the last five years will not be allowed. Speak to your dealer or RSAM for more information.

Only drivers named under the permitted drivers section of your Certificate of Motor Insurance are covered to drive your car.

MobilityDrivingInstructor
    Quote Originally Posted by irishderry View Post
    Hi there, my mother is currently in receipt of high rate mobility allowance and has asked me to complete my lessons in order to get her out and about a bit more. I have just passed my test last week and was now looking to go get a mobility car but a friend has told me that you must hold a licence for 2 years or more before you can become a named driver. I have checked the motability website but I cannot see it anywhere. Does anyone know if this is true? the purpose of me doing my test was for this reason and I would be dissapointed if I spent £1000 on lessons for nothing.
    Hi Irishderry,

I think that your friend is incorrect. I recently taught a student who on passing his test became the driver for his parent. He did do the pass plus (which is a sensible thing to do anyway).

Isobel

Admin removed link