Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UN tells UK to scrap bedroom tax!

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    But Cameron is right it's not a tax and it's a spare room not bedroom subsidy sadly I got caught out with this months ago a lady came in said her bungalow has been said to have an extra bedroom I took a look it's a dinning room but the council stated it could be used as another room or bedroom, she appealed and lost but the fact is the kitchen is so small you cannot move in it, and the dinning room could be used as a bed room, so she is now paying an extra £14 a week.

They stated you can eat a meal in the living room and you do not need a table.

Then another lady who the council called a bed room she tenant called a box room and the court agreed, it's all open to who is doing the case.
    You are wrong here, the spare room in question must be deemed as a "Bedroom" by the Landlord and/or the LA.

So it is not just any "Spare Room", where the supposed "Spare Room Subsidy" is withdrawn.

This is the whole point, they cannot state when it suits them that say a room that has always been used as a dining room, and has never been deemed to be a bedroom, all of a sudden becomes a bedroom, when it suits.

This was the successful argument used in the FtT appeal win in Scotland that I pointed out in my other post.

If someone you know has appealed and lost "months ago" that has been dealt with very quickly, has it been heard by The FtT ? I am aware personally of several appeals that have had an unsuccessful reconsideration, but are awaiting a date for a FtT hearing.

It only came into force on 01/04/13.
    Last edited by vikstar; 11-09-13 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    But Cameron is right it's not a tax and it's a spare room not bedroom subsidy sadly I got caught out with this months ago a lady came in said her bungalow has been said to have an extra bedroom I took a look it's a dinning room but the council stated it could be used as another room or bedroom, she appealed and lost but the fact is the kitchen is so small you cannot move in it, and the dinning room could be used as a bed room, so she is now paying an extra £14 a week.

They stated you can eat a meal in the living room and you do not need a table.
    Then another lady who the council called a bed room she tenant called a box room and the court agreed, it's all open to who is doing the case.
    Not if you are like my daughter you can't. How can someone with one hand balance a meal and eat with one hand and nothing to support the tray.
    Sea Queen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24046094

Grant Schapps...""It is completely wrong and an abuse of the process for somebody to come over, to fail to meet with government ministers, to fail to meet with the department responsible, to produce a press release two weeks after coming, even though the report is not due out until next spring, and even to fail to refer to the policy properly throughout the report.

"That is why I am writing to the secretary general today to ask for an apology and an investigation as to how this came about."

He also said that she came from a country, Brazil, "that has 50m people in inadequate housing".

I think this government would be the first up in arms if the Syrian government started to make similar complaints about the UN weapons inspection/report...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

I heard on the news this morning about certain court cases relating to the bedroom tax and what was considered a bedroom.

One person was a wheelchair user and stored his wheelchair in a downstairs room and couldn't use the stairs. He won his case.
    Another man said a room was too small at 60 square feet. He won his case.
    Another person stored their gardening tools in the bedroom. He lost his case as the judge said buy a shed.

Is it up to the local authority to decide if a room is to be "allowed" or not. I know of one person in our area who has been exempted from the deduction as the partner has to sleep in the spare room occassionally to catch up with sleep. I thought the ruling was live in but non relative carers exepted only

vikstar
    Even more on this from today's Guardian, http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...om-tax-outrage

they should sack duncan smith at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    Just come across this which might raise a few eye brows but will the UK government follow and do what is asked?

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news...n_investigator

Same thing with the pensions, yes I appreciate women's pensions should raise, we live longer but not so abbruptley. I have to wait 5 years, and don't have enough time to save, will lose my serps pension, which is quite a lot of money to me, have the required years of working paying NI and serps yet if I was a civil servant I would still be allowed to retire at 60, smacks of discrimation, why should the private sector have to take the brunt of this?

vikstar
    The DWP are considering altering the guidance given to LA's, after the successful Bedroom Tax appeals,

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/ihsto...rycode=6528544