Thread: Private detective to find a family member?

Private detective to find a family member?

So, this is a bit of a strange one and wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on it.

I'm thinking of hiring a private investigator to try to find a family member and wondered what goes on and what kind of cost I'd be looking at.

I also do not have too much information, however I have a name and something pretty big and public which they are connected with.

Has anyone ever found anyone like this?

Thanks.

Account removed
    Detective fees are about £55 to 75 an hour and a really good one can cost a lot more, they also charge a high fee for phone calls, I once saw a bill after the DWP used a detective on me , to check to see if I was working, and I was not and some neighbour had reported me, a one minute phone call they charged £90 so god know if they were on for thirty minutes.

have you tried to find them.....

http://www.myheritage.com/page/lost-relatives

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/board...thread/1318014

http://www.yourfamily.com/lost_family.html

http://www.missing-you.net/

Lots of other sites which try to help...

A private detective normally sits in an office and will use the phone they phone sites and use the internet to search and your going to have to pay I would think for a weeks work your may be looking at £300 to £3,000 it's not so much the hourly rate and how many hours they work for you it's how much they charge for phone calls.

The salvation army are good at finding people for a small fee.

If you know which area they are in write to their local press.

There are several websites for this. Type in lost people/family and it should come up with some. I used a site like this to contact a long lost family member a few years ago, but cannot remember name of site, sorry. It was a free site though.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Thank you all so much for your replies and your input.

I do not know their full name or any address they have had, I really only know the name and a connection that they had in something.

I had no idea the price of one, I thought maybe a few hundred tops, but a few thousand I just don't have. I have tried the looking on facebook etc, but I just don't get anywhere.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I'll have a think.

Why not write to them at the address of the organisation? If they are interested, then they will reply.

PDC
    Quote Originally Posted by amalie View Post
    Thank you all so much for your replies and your input.

I do not know their full name or any address they have had, I really only know the name and a connection that they had in something.

I had no idea the price of one, I thought maybe a few hundred tops, but a few thousand I just don't have. I have tried the looking on facebook etc, but I just don't get anywhere.

I'm not sure where to go from here, I'll have a think.

I saw the post and wanted to answer it to say that the costs mentioned here are far above what most Investigators would charge. I am not sure on the rules of advertising/links so I will not post any but personally our organisation operates on a no find - no fee basis in missing person cases and the charges are generally barely in three figures.

Also as mentioned it is worth contacting the long established Salvation Army's Family Tracing Service who will advise on whether they think they can take on the search and provide an estimate as to the time involved, they only charge a small fee, around the fifty pound mark I believe and will only take on a search if they believe they stand a good chance of being able to locate the person.

Hi Amelie ...Before the advent of the internet and back in early 70's when our wider family got separated from more immediate family due to Dads RAF tours ... i can mind my Mum hiring a PI to trace one of her long lost brothers, with no success, no ideas what the costs were back then though, after coming back from Germany from same RAF tour in NE Scotland in 75 ish, my Mum took up the task again and eventually did track down her long lost Brother, it was fun for a while but ended tragic, sometimes we all need to move on ... no black and white though and if you need to keep looking, so may it be

But with advent of Internet and all social media aspects these days, I'd bet maybe some amateur Internet detectives would have as much or more chance of finding your lost relative too.

But as you say, if you have a name and and something pretty big public about your lost friend, go to OcUK and ask for OCUK detectives, uber geeks, guaranteed from their past history you will have more success than a highly expensive private detective these days.

Thank you all for your help here.

The SA is a good recommendation, as is OCUK. I will be looking into it further. There are a number of reasons why it would be a good idea to contact, one being health related. But thank you Katana, I will go into this assuming the worst, but hoping for the best.