Thread: Benefits Britain 1949

Benefits Britain 1949

Is the Channel 4 program "Benefits Britain 1949" a documentary comparing the Welfare State in 1949 with 2013?

Cos' it seems like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Conservative party to me

I didn't watch it but I read an article about the first episode- and yes they do show how the system worked in 1949 plus the amounts given then. The article seemed to be saying one lady was capable of working if she wanted to- mentioning about her acrylic nails,her weight and the fact that she couldn't seem to decide if she was capable of picking up a potato? I didn't see the programme but the article seemed to be "loaded" if you get my drift.
    Maybe someone has seen the actual programmes though and can give a better picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    Is the Channel 4 program "Benefits Britain 1949" a documentary comparing the Welfare State in 1949 with 2013?

Cos' it seems like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Conservative party to me

It's not a documentary Tatty. It's supposed to highlight the differences, both good and bad between the welfare system in 1949 and 2013. The people are portraying different sets of circumstances and showing how they'd have been handled back in 1949. In one pogramme and immigrant in 1949 would have had to sleep on the streets, but it's doubtful that guy in the programme actually did this.

After watching 3 episodes of it I did think some of the ehlp avaialable in 1949 was more individually tailored to the individual , but others things were quite harsh.

Account removed
    I watched it and it's a sham and it's political without doubt.

"After watching 3 episodes of it I did think some of the ehlp avaialable in 1949 was more individually tailored to the individual , but others things were quite harsh".

I cannot see anything which was tailored the benefits was shockingly low and people who had disabilities were in the main defined to those with mental health who ended up in mental institutes, people who had mobility issues with loss of legs and loss of arms, those who were blind and those who were deaf dumb and mute, because that's how they saw people, this is why we ended up with two benefits for those in the Military and those in civilian life. People who had stress or so called depression were seen as being weak, you just lived with those disabilities, today we know these are real in my days in my youth if you said you were depressed people laughed at you, get on with life.

The first so called unemployment was 35 shillings I think that's about £1.75 today. And then it went up with a change in law to 38 shillings which was £2 to be honest I cannot remember all of it.

My wife's Uncle was a great friend of Nye Bevan, he ran a small place in the Welsh valleys helping miners get jobs, if you lost your job and had paid into the Miners club for health and unemployment you got a few pence a week if you lost your job, if you were ill you had free health care, this later on became the Job center.

But after the war of course the rebuilding of the country and infrastructure the removal of the slums we had lots of jobs, yet we had a hard core group of people who had always lived on benefits, do not forget benefits go way back to the poor laws.

sadly we are now seeing all political parties trying to show the sick the disabled and the unemployed as partly reasonable for the banking crises funny how we do not see to many program about the banking industry.

Seemed like Tory jingoism to me. Each of the participants started with a reason to be reluctant to change. Health, family commitments, no suitable work in their area. By the end of the show they had all "seen the light" and we're reformed individuals who had cast off their immoral and treasonous attitudes and illnesses.

"I was blind and now I see" "God bless Ian Duncan Smith"

Just caught a trailer after reading this post. Looks very interesting, must get to watching it.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    Just caught a trailer after reading this post. Looks very interesting, must get to watching it.
    If your depressed do not watch it, if you have a funny bone do not watch it you will die laughing.

It was as been said? they saw the error of their ways and god spoke unto them and the rose and walked.

Quote Originally Posted by treborc View Post
    If your depressed do not watch it, if you have a funny bone do not watch it you will die laughing.

It was as been said? they saw the error of their ways and god spoke unto them and the rose and walked.
    Is it really THAT bad?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    Is it really THAT bad?
    Would imagine it depends on your general outlook