Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotionally Disturbed

I am full of admiration for your strength and compassion. Hope your YP. Can get through this.

Thank you so do I. It's time some good times were coming for this Y/P
    Sea Queen

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him. He's on a demanding journey, but I admire his willingness to take difficult steps and your continuing support of him.

flymo it saddens me when non of his family can be bothered to say let me help you to get help - calling him psycho is a dreadful thing in my book. He's trying so hard as you say he's on a demanding journey - but he's in a positive frame of mind
    Sea Queen

I can understand his family being weary of the effects of his behaviour and being in need of support themselves, but to term someone a 'psycho' and cut them off when they are clearly willing to work at their issues is hard to understand.

I believe that both physical and mental health are continuous spectra. I have fairly severe physical health problems and, correctly, I feel, no mental health diagnoses. However, like everyone, I have moments when my mood is low, I feel vulnerable and I cannot see issues clearly in proportion. I have had a period of hallucinations caused by extreme sleep deprivation due to poor pain control, as well as (fortunately fairly mild) difficulties due to being abused in hospital. So, it is equally wrong to say I am 100% mentally healthy all the time.

What I find particularly baffling is that people are mostly content to attach no blame to those with physical disabilities, whilst those with mental health problems are often told either to snap out of it or are blamed for causing their own issues. That is nonsensical - there are very few who choose to be ill, and it never helps to attach blame to any physical or mental health problem (as that just creates barriers to seeking help).

There are some wonderful people in my life who have had periods of severe mental health problems. It is a privilege to be invited into their world when they are struggling and to do what little I can by treating the situation calmly whilst offering plenty of love and reassurance.

The Y/P feels that once again he has been banished from his family ( first time when he was a child and put into care with me) and quite right too.
    There is a lack of understanding with them Flymo about the fact he isn't able to just shrug off his grief for his family member who died ( has always struggled Emotionally) and maybe I suspect and would hope some recognition from his family that they have helped create the state he is in.
    He has a long way to go! How brave he can be on his next journey whenever that will be remains to be seen.

I agree with you about the physical/ mental opinions of people - they can't 'see the mental health' just the behaviour it can cause!

You sound as if you have also had a very tough life and it's credit to you that you have pulled through so well.
    Sending you hugs x
    Sea Queen

Thank heavens that the young person has you in their corner sea queen
    Are you a foster carer?

I was for many years deebee also special needs respite carer.
    Don't do much now days though but still on call if needed for emergency respite.
    Sea Queen

Just an update.
    Y/P is about done with his bereavement councilling, next app is for a month's time and that may well be the last one. Has come a long way and worked at what has been suggested by councillor so well done to Y/P.

Next is the councilling for what's happened as a child, that will be so hard!!

Y/P is very very positive about all this and if they remain like this they will get through it.

The other thing is, I went to view a small flat with y/p on Monday ( currently lives with grandparents )

Y/P needs to get away from family ( not completely mind, but just not live within the family) as it's not good for y/p M/H.
    We won't know until next week if he has the flat as there were four viewing on that day.

This I feel trepidation and uncertainty for, as I'm not sure how they will cope.
    Still if they don't try we will never know!

Fingers crossed y/p gets a chance to give it a go!!!
    Sea Queen

Another update.
    After a few weeks of not going for councelling ( as arranged ) we went last week and the Y/P has no need to go back.
    After as the weather was fine I went with Y/P to the church yard - the first time for him since the buriel. We stood only for two or three minutes then he needed to leave but was calm although a bit upset (obviously). Out came the fags - he needed one so much bless him.
    He did it!!
    So proud of him.
    I have offered to go with him again if he wants company.

Bring on the next lot of councilling after which 'he may' just 'may' be able to hold down a job.
    Sea Queen