Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotionally Disturbed

Emotionally Disturbed

Had anyone any knowledge of this condition.
    I had a visit yesterday from a young person who I have known since 6years of age at that time he was at a school for E/D children.
    Now at 24yrs he is very frightened that he is getting so aggresive and just 'flips' that he will seriously hurt someone.
    At the current time he is in a lot of emotional stress with his ex over contact with his young child.
    Listening to him I think he should be helped by the health service, but nothing seems to be being done.
    Sea Queen

Hi Sea Queen
    he needs help has he seen his GP ?

my youngest son has emotional behavioural problems he "flips" spent years in therapy and anger management
    his was put down to the stress and worry over me spending most of his childhood in hospital

there is help out there for him and he needs it get him to see his GP so he can be referred to mental health
    hope he gets the help he needs xx

I think some of the difficulty may stem from the fact many people may have different things happen to them that cause them to become emotionally disturbed, so it's perhaps not recognised as a one size fits all condition.

In this person's case - perhaps it would be an idea to focus on how his ED is manifesting itself. If he feels he is getting very angry and aggressive, would anger management help? His current situation with ex and child clearly is a major stresser. Does he have enough support to help deal with all that?

Has he been to his GP explaining how he feels? Does he have any other support ?

I am aware of his childhood and what happened back then, so can understand why he is as he is.
    However this new situation is tipping him over the edge and his plea for help really got to me on Saturday (there is also another situation cropped up and is compounding his already unstable frame of min) as I have this feeling from what he is saying he could end up in prison for a long time - he is so frightened of this 'lid which keeps trying to lift inside his head' (his words)
    I did tell him to go and see a gp and ask his current girlfriend if she would go with him and explain his life up to now - but maybe I am better qualified than she is as I have been in his life much longer.
    Family I am thinking have lost patience with him.
    As a Ps : he has been reffered for anger management but I am not sure if this is the complete answer although it would probably help.
    Sea Queen

Account removed
    The sad fact is these days it really hard to find anyone who can help, Care in the community now means people are supposed to look after neigbours and the sick and ill, we have a lad who has serious emotional issues living by us, normally he's OK then all of a sudden everything goes wrong anything can cause it, the last time he beat his girl friend because she was talking to the post man he felt she talked to long.

It took us a day to get him into hospital and the only way was the police arrested him took him to the station and the police doctor sectioned him.

The police could not arrested him for beating up his girl friend because she stated she fell down and did not want to press charges , the police said they knew all about him.

Social services refused to even come out saying it was a police issues and the police stated they do not bother with them anymore because care in the community now means basically the community has to look after it's self.

I have a friend who tells me the same treborc very sad as it shouldn't be like that should it.
    I was wondering if the gp would give meds to help him to keep calm at least until he starts the anger managment - how else can he control his M/H without help!
    Sea Queen

Hi Sea Queen I would go to the doctors with him and get across how bad his situation is and yes there is meds that can help he would likely need them as well as the anger management

Thank you I will call and speak to him to see if he will go to GP either with g/friend or me, he finds it difficult to talk to anyone apart from me. he just closes up
    Sea Queen

Just an update. The person concerened has contacted me and I am going with them to see their GP in a couple of weeks.
    I am pleased they have made this decision and hope they don't back out
    Sea Queen

Thanks all for advice I have been to y/p gp.
    They have been given Diazapam (short term), a months sick note and referral to psychiatrist.
    To return to gp in 2 weeks to see how he is unless he gets worse then has to call and ask to speak to someone.
    Sea Queen