Thread: ESA 'Enhanced Disability Premium', why am I not being paid it..?

Question ESA 'Enhanced Disability Premium', why am I not being paid it..?

I feel stupid asking this incase it turns out that I've overlooked something, but I need to know what the deal is before I go insane (even more insane than I already am I mean), so:

I've just been migrated to ESA from IB, so my money has stayed the same, £112.05 a week, because I've been placed in the support group. (£106.50 plus a top-up of £5.50 so that I don't see a drop in money due to the migration)

Today I received a letter regarding a new housing benefit decision that has been made (that being that now I'm on ESA, apparently I qualify for full housing benefit, a change I wasn't expecting, first I'd heard of it...). It was only through reading the housing benefit decision notice that I noticed that £15.15 was included in my 'applicable amount' for 'enhanced disability - single'.

I'd never heard of enhanced disability premium before. So after googling it, it seems that if you are in the support group, you are automatically entitled to this premium. My question is of course, if I'm entitled to it, why is it not being paid to me..? The letter from ESA notifying me that I've been migrated made no mention of it. It doesn't appear in the breakdown of the £112.05, so, am I missing something here..? Is anyone else in the same situation..?

Thanks in advance.

glasgowadviser
    The enhanced premium is a part of your applicable amount as you know. This means though it's an income related premium so on the face of it there's two reasons you aren't getting it... You have other income... Or you have always had conts based benefit so need to claim the income related part of esa... The Dwp should have noticed this and sent you the form if that's the case but hey its the Dwp. Contact esa for an income related claim form

Contact the them on the number on your decision letter, ask them to send you form ESA3, this is to enable you to qualify for Income Related ESA. You need to be in Support Group and in receipt of IR ESA or CB ESA with an IR top up, you should qualify under the latter, to receive the EDP, though they will probably deduct the £5.50 make up you already receive should you be successful.
    all the best.

I've re-read the letter from ESA and it turns out I'm on contribution-based ESA, I thought I was on income-based, but I'm still not entirely sure of the difference, that always confused me.

If it is an income related premium (how do you know that?), then how can I claim it if I don't have an income? I'm very, very confused. I've been wrestling with this all day.

According to the housing benefit decision notice I have an applicable amount of 121.65 (106.50 plus the 15.15), and an income of 112.05. Does that mean I should be getting an extra £9.60 a week?

Amounts (of money) are meaningless as every ones total, as with their circumstances, will be different, do has I said in my post @3 to seek your full entitlement.
    As that's "the reason your not being paid (EDP) Enhanced Disability Premium".
    Last edited by Jard; 21-08-13 at 23:37.