Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another new diagnosis..

Another new diagnosis..

I have now also been diagnosed with IBS...which only affects me when I'm stressed(which is a lot of the time due to anxiety) but I get extremely ill and end up not eating for a week apart from maybe a slice of toast..I can't leave the house because I spend a lot of time (trying) to rush to the toilet

Do I inform the DWP of this? Or wait until I get another ESA50 sent to me?

Wait!!! Wait for the next ESA50 and tell them then. That's my opinion anyway,lol.

Poor you, IBS is horrible. I hope you are not suffering too badly at the moment.

I have a form of IBD, which means my diet is severely affected and I also have to be near a toilet all the time. It has a big impact on my life and I am restricted terribly on a social level, so I can understand the effect this has on you.

Its hard to know what to do as on all benefits it says to report change of circumstances, if your illness/condition changes etc. But, would this mean they then start investigating all over again?

Maybe someone else has been in a similar situation and could advise.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

My incidences of IBS are now very rare and this is probably due to reduced stress. Answer? Reduce stress. How? Answers on a postcard please. Sex, chocolate and cake are my 3 offerings. LOL

Love it firebird!!!
    Is it all 3 together or one at a time, lol.
    My favourite way to destress is to spend time in my craft room, probably not as exciting as your 3 though!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    My incidences of IBS are now very rare and this is probably due to reduced stress. Answer? Reduce stress. How? Answers on a postcard please. Sex, chocolate and cake are my 3 offerings. LOL
    I wish I could reduce my stress. I can't really eat chocolate unless it's vegan or dairy free(lactose intelorence..) sex is out right now because I feel like(unintended pun) crap, and I don't eat cake!

As for suffering...I haven't left the house all week because of it really ill with it at the moment, I can't eat anything. Even water is causing problems

It sucks because I can't exactly run to a toilet if I need to because of my knee. I'm back to sleeping on the sofa (our only toilet is downstairs.)

Hi Flower

I have crohns so know all about dodgy tums and bums it's not good
    to reduce stress hit something I use my kids punchbag or make bread the kneeding really takes the tension out of you
    start a food diary when you start eating again as somethings may make your symptoms worse
    I have a swig of gripe water after eating a good burp (better for wind to come up rather than go down )

buscopan is good to relax your bowel when you have cramps but it leaves you with a dry mouth
    and immodium to help with the runs

sending you a hug xx

I totally get the lactose intolerance Flower. Two of my kids have it.
    It was really hard with them, (going back 30 yrs now) as there was a very limited supply of food in the supermarket they could eat.
    Basically we stuck to fresh food. Meat, fish, veg etc. My Mum used to make their bread from a recipe we got hold of. I also used to make burgers and sausages for them when they were a bit older. You have to read every label as it is surprising what contains lactose.

I agree with acheron. Keep a food diary and put everything in it. With the lactose, you know what to avoid when reading labels. IBS is a different matter. Very much trial and error. Stress as you say, does not help, but there are lots of other triggers. When it comes to food, everyone is different. Some can eat fibre, some can't, some can eat proteins, some can't. IBS is different for different people.

Good luck xx

Would agree with the food diary as well, my daughter has learned what will trigger an attack of IBS (well most of the time - sometimes it just happens and she has no idea why! )
    Sea Queen

I do keep food diaries, it all just depends on how stressed I am.

You aren't supposed to have fizzy drinks during an IBS flare up, but...I find it actually calms my tummy down for a while. :/

I've been keeping a food diary for 3 months because of slimming world anyway