Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Wheelchair Darts Essex and Surrounding Areas

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6

    Wheelchair Darts Essex and Surrounding Areas

    Hi

    I am new to this and I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so my apologies if not.

    I am a darts fan and I would love to be able to play darts but I have cerebral palsy and I am a wheelchair user. Having attended a Rotary Disabled Sports Championship last year, I witnessed wheelchair darts being played. As a result of this, I am trying to drum up some support and interest for the implementation of wheelchair darts within able-bodied leagues, as it is possible to have players in wheelchairs play against able-bodied players. However at present there is no inclusion or accommodation of disabled players within darts leagues other that those in the north of the country and in Australia and I would like to try and implement this in my home county of Essex and surrounding areas to begin with.

    I would like find out from people in Essex and the surround areas, whether this is something of interest and ask for their support in the implementation of the sport within current darts leagues.

    If you would like further information please feel free to ask.

    Many Thanks

    Cdango90

  2. #2
    Senior Member andypandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    649
    Why can't people in wheelchairs play "normal" darts. I know someone who does ???

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Wheelchair Darts players from what I have read, would require a lower board then that of a standard board. Something that is not accommodated in darts leagues in Essex.

  4. #4
    Account removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    Why can't people in wheelchairs play "normal" darts. I know someone who does ???
    No rules as such to say you cannot except in competition you have to stand behind the hockey, but what I found when trying to play darts and I did play to a good standard for my Pub team, once I was in a wheelchair I had massive problem throwing the distance plus looking upwards it's almost impossible to play with any confidence.

    I then argued about starting up a disability league, I asked the council if they knew any more disabled wheelchair users around and we formed a small team, we played each other and the dart board were lowered to our height and eye level.

    But I cannot for the lift of me see anyone playing in a wheelchair in competitions it would be be hard to get to the standard, plus may disabled wheelchair users will have difficulty throwing the distance plus upwards it hard enough seeing double top when your short.


    We also asked if we could have a pool team but again how do you see the table top.

  5. #5
    Account removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cdango90 View Post
    Wheelchair Darts players from what I have read, would require a lower board then that of a standard board. Something that is not accommodated in darts leagues in Essex.
    I mean your actually not going to be able to play against able bodied people, the board is not going to be lowered each time a wheelchair users wants to throw.

    Does not mean you cannot perhaps start up your own league meeting at a pub, then sending out challenges to other counties, your best bet then is to contact the councils disability sports officers to get information on council funding, these people would then contact other councils to seek out how to help.

    We had a request by a young person who was in a wheelchair and argued he should be allowed to play snooker against able bodied players, but how do you get the wheelchair to a level, it was suggested they have a higher up wheelchair, when they looked at the prices it was £20,000 .

    So that did not happen.

    But it does not mean people should give up not long ago people laughed at blind football, or deaf sports or in fact swimming, now we win gold medals.

    The issue is how to get others involved with your idea's but I do think your looking at playing other wheelchair users.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    You can actually play against an able bodied person as I have been witness to this. How it works is having a lower board ay 4ft 6, placed underneath a standard height board and the wheelchair player throws at the lower board then the able bodied player throws at the standard height board. Take some time to look up on google wheelchair darts and you will find that Winmau actually support this and you will also find how the game can be played and how to set the boards up. Someone in Australia has also invented a rotating board that allows for wheelchair players and able-bodied players to play against each other it is called the wildfire137 dartboard. I am asking for support people not for it to be demised without taking the time to have a look. I am trying to promote the inclusion of wheelchair users and other disabled people within the sport.

    Please see the links below

    http://www.wheelchairdarts.co.uk/


    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDh9WWO...%3DXDh9WWOFaKU

    http://www.wheelchairdarts.co.uk/the-wildfire-137/

  7. #7
    Account removed
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cdango90 View Post
    You can actually play against an able bodied person as I have been witness to this. How it works is having a lower board ay 4ft 6, placed underneath a standard height board and the wheelchair player throws at the lower board then the able bodied player throws at the standard height board. Take some time to look up on google wheelchair darts and you will find that Winmau actually support this and you will also find how the game can be played and how to set the boards up. Someone in Australia has also invented a rotating board that allows for wheelchair players and able-bodied players to play against each other it is called the wildfire137 dartboard. I am asking for support people not for it to be demised without taking the time to have a look. I am trying to promote the inclusion of wheelchair users and other disabled people within the sport.

    Please see the links below

    http://www.wheelchairdarts.co.uk/


    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDh9WWO...%3DXDh9WWOFaKU

    http://www.wheelchairdarts.co.uk/the-wildfire-137/


    Good luck then if you come down into Wales I will take you around the disability league we have, seems you have it sorted.

  8. #8
    Senior Member andypandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    649
    Quote Originally Posted by cdango90 View Post
    I am asking for support people not for it to be demised without taking the time to have a look.
    I'm not aware of anyone dismissing it ???

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    171
    Cdango, i know the replies may have seen a little abrasive but its just the written word thing i'd be interested but i'm miles away. I hope ypu get it all up and running if enough of us had your get up and go we could have a national league:-!

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    I think conversation in text can be misconstrued,my apologies if I have offended anyone.I may have misread some of what has been said. I have enough trouble staying positive about most things and this is something I would really like to pursue, its just a shame that at present there is not any interest in the area which I live. Maybe I should move up north, to Wales or even to Australia lol.

Similar Threads

  1. ESA Assessment / Areas
    By sea queen in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24-09-14, 22:48
  2. Private GP near London areas
    By birdwatcher in forum Health - help & advice on health issues for disabled people
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-09-14, 22:12
  3. Drive-From-Wheelchair, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles
    By Sirus Automotive in forum Suppliers' news
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-08-13, 13:54
  4. Three new areas added to 'Living made easy'
    By dlfteam in forum DLF news
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-04-11, 11:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •