Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get a council house

How to get a council house

Has anyone esle been watching this?
    I couldn't believe it last night when a man who had a disabled son who he was wanting a flat/bedsit for was piggy backing the young man around on his back, outside - crossing roads ---
    Have never seen anything like it, the father will have real bad back problems doing that.
    Sea Queen

Yes Sea Queen,
    I saw it and thought it was very degrading for the young 23 year old to be dragged across the road on his dad's back - that wasn't what I'd call independent living.

In contrast I knew a disabled work colleague who had similar impairments from birth but his life was completely different. He worked four days a week, was married, had two children and they were buying they own home. He also delivered sermons at his local church. I think his religious faith also supplied a solid support system.

Goes to show you it's a little about luck, nature and nurture.

Back to getting a council house instantly. You have to e homeless and a bed blocker in hospital - then you become top of the rehousing register!

Thought it was very sad when the young disabled fellow and his Dad went to view a bedsit which was better than the Das expected and the son asked his Dad if he would move in with him. Then got upset saying he didn't want to live alone. Glad they got him what I think was 24 hour supported housing elsewhere.

If the reason his Dad gave for evicting him ie the son was getting drunk all the time with friends , in an unsupported place he'd have soon had all these mates abusing his flat as a doss house.

Does anyone here honestly think this is more real than your average soap opera, do you think those folk never acted up to the cameras?

Think about it.

I have been watching the whole series. It has been an eye opener for sure.
    We all know about the shortage of social housing and the problems people are facing. This series shows both sides of the story, the applicants and the providers.
    We would all like an affordable, nice place to live, but I have been surprised by some of the applicants attitudes. Some of them have a "shopping list" of what they want the property to have. Unfortunately, social housing must be about "need" not what you want, ie. a large kitchen, secure parking, house with garden.
    Families with children, medical reasons, safety etc must take priority.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Account removed
    Do not forget the fact is they are on TV, in 2009 I was asked by the BBC to do a show about benefits scroungers, they came to see me and they asked me if I would walk out of the job center, I said you mean come out in my wheelchair they said no we need you to walk out can you walk. I showed them my legs and they said well your not going to be any good, they phoned up the director and I heard him say look we have to show two sides one with scroungers and one with disabled people.

Then they asked me if I would answer the door, they said we will go out and knock on the door then you will come open the door for us, so they knocked I came to the door in my wheelchair and they said oh for god sake dump the chair.

They then said that they would come in and when they did I would be standing waiting, they did everything possible to get me to show them I was in fact able to walk, in the end they did have a bit about me on the show and they said this is Robert , Robert is one of the severely disabled people who are obviously not a benefits cheat, the fact is Robert is looking for work on his own, unlike these people and they went off to Merthyr.

Never watch TV and what you see maybe nothing but made up by the directors

It is unfortunate that these days, these are the sorts of stories that "sell". People do not want to hear about genuinely sick/disabled people struggling everyday. They want to hear about benefits cheats who are taking all their hard earned taxes.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Treborc, I've often witnessedTV shows being filmed in Manchester. You'd be surprised how many people are involved with one shot. They tend to spend an hour filming to get 10 seconds on TV

Coming back to the show I was amazed how B&B places would barter with the Council. One asked for £2500 up front to housea mum and two kids - that was just a sweetener!

The trouble is that Councils and RSLs still offer 'Right to buy' So what with these cheap subsidsed mortgages e.g. the Government put down a 20% deposit leaving you to only out down 5%.

The mortgage interest rates are only 3% - I remember paying for my mortgage when rates were 15%0

So people are buying social housing homes but new ones aren't being built at the same rate!

People are being pushed into private renting where rents are sky high -

Another thing most Councils no longer own property as they were duty bound to upgrade homes with new kitchens, bathrooms, windows etc. The Government were offering loads of money to get homes refurbished as art of the green paper. The only clause was that Councils couldn't get access to the money. That's why RSLs, ALMO's and FI's were set u and people were put on one housing register through a Choice Based eating System.

They need to build more social housing.

I agree lighttouch, we need more social housing. But it will not happen.
    I live in Stoke where they have been selling off housing for £1. These are properties in dire need of repair and refurbishment. The council cannot afford to do the work, (although they can spend over 50 million on new council offices!), so they are selling these properties. Unfortunately, even the housing stock they have is in dire need of work, which is not getting done. We were part of a decent home survey on behalf of the council last year. The guy who came out found lots of problems with our property, heating, roof repairs, damp etc. Nothing has been done about any of this. If they cannot afford repairs, they cannot afford to build.
    But, we are luckier than some. We have a roof over our heads at a reasonable rent.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    I have been watching the whole series. It has been an eye opener for sure.
    We all know about the shortage of social housing and the problems people are facing. This series shows both sides of the story, the applicants and the providers.
    We would all like an affordable, nice place to live, but I have been surprised by some of the applicants attitudes. Some of them have a "shopping list" of what they want the property to have. Unfortunately, social housing must be about "need" not what you want, ie. a large kitchen, secure parking, house with garden.
    Families with children, medical reasons, safety etc must take priority.
    Hi BB

I too have watched the whole series and could not believe that woman who would not take that lovely brand new apartment because she wanted a car parking space - she didn't even have a car !!!

As for this weeks show I couldn't understand why that lad we are talking about with CP didn't have a walking frame or wheelchair - very strange !

Last week the pregnant teenager annoyed me who said that all pregnant teenagers should be top priority and given somewhere to live and her boyfriend wasn't looking for a job because they were waiting for somewhere to live first in case he got a job and would then have to travel to work - oh bless !!! He then wasn't looking for work when they got a flat because he was decorating !!! Excuses, Excuses !!!