Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DLA is for helping people walk? Seems a bit simplified.

I personally loved the Paralympics. I would hope it inspired a lot of disabled people.
    But, as acheron pointed out, a lot of us are not "just" disabled. We are battling ill health, sickness and disease as well. The other thing to point out is that a lot of these athletes start getting involved in sport etc at a fairly young age. (A lot of us are well past our youth, lol). They also have a lot of help, a brilliant support programme and grants etc.
    The thing that sticks in my craw, is the fact that the games were sponsored by ATOS. The same organisation that are making reports that are preventing people from getting any sort of help. And who can forget the boos and jeers which welcomed George Osborne when he presented medals.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I think the whole thing was very misleading because many disabilities were simply not represented...and there was a very good reason for that! Sport is not an option for a large number of disabled people.
    My own disability is 'Cervical Compression Myelopathy'-and I didn't see anyone taking part with that.Okay,what I have is pretty rare,but I didn't see anyone with,for example,Parkinsons or Arthritis either.The bulk of the athletes were amputees.These people are of course disabled as well but the degree differs.

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Poppins View Post
    I think the whole thing was very misleading because many disabilities were simply not represented...and there was a very good reason for that! Sport is not an option for a large number of disabled people.
    My own disability is 'Cervical Compression Myelopathy'-and I didn't see anyone taking part with that.Okay,what I have is pretty rare,but I didn't see anyone with,for example,Parkinsons or Arthritis either.The bulk of the athletes were amputees.These people are of course disabled as well but the degree differs.
    I'm sorry but some of the most disabled people in the country some with the most serious brain damage and some with terrible illnesses have taken party in the games, just because they did not show up on the TV does not mean that people cannot take part.

The bulk of the athletes were not amputees at all the biggest group are people with a range of issues for years I was part of the disabled sport Wales , and we had many many different sports, many of our young and elderly people who have trained for years where stopped so Soldiers could take there places which was not right at all.

But the disability sport is about all level and types of disabilities and just because we get one of two people who for the wrong reason take over the media like people running with blades, or people who argue about other people use of drugs.

The fact is disability sport is for everyone of all ages and skills.

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    I personally loved the Paralympics. I would hope it inspired a lot of disabled people.
    But, as acheron pointed out, a lot of us are not "just" disabled. We are battling ill health, sickness and disease as well. The other thing to point out is that a lot of these athletes start getting involved in sport etc at a fairly young age. (A lot of us are well past our youth, lol). They also have a lot of help, a brilliant support programme and grants etc.
    The thing that sticks in my craw, is the fact that the games were sponsored by ATOS. The same organisation that are making reports that are preventing people from getting any sort of help. And who can forget the boos and jeers which welcomed George Osborne when he presented medals.

That may be so but people playing sport is not the problem the problem is governments have decided that to many people are driving cars, and these cars will need to be given to people who are basically in electric wheelchairs, the fact is today if you have no legs but get around in a manual wheelchair your not going to get the enhanced level of mobility.

PIP's will be a new benefits DLA is now dead and like IB gone, we now have to find the method to fight to get the descriptor changed this is the 20mtrs walking distance and using walking aids including a wheelchair, we also have to get pain and breathless brought back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Poppins View Post
    How about Kristin Armstrong, who won gold in cycling. She has arthritis. Then there was Shannon Boxx, Carrie Johnson, or in professional sport how about Shaquille O'Neal, Phil Mickelson.

Just because you did not see people with certain disabilities it does not mean the games were in anyway misleading.

Just because a certain Mr Bolt ran run the 100m in less than 10secs doesn't mean all non-disabled people can! The games showed what some people can do, disabled or not.
    Last edited by vantage; 06-08-13 at 19:35.

I don't now why the OP keeps trawling the Internet for all this old and depressing news.

I for one, am getting sick of it and will be taking a break from YA

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    I don't now why the OP keeps trawling the Internet for all this old and depressing news.

Enough up to date stuff going on which really does matter more.

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post

I feel the same and have already asked the OP to stop doing this, but it's a free forum. Get the feeling thatthe OP is feeling vulnerable and worried because his time for migration to ESA is coming near. Understandable perhaps, but the posts are becoming more bitter and divisive.

We've already had the no one should get any NHS treatment unless it's means tested including pre and pst natal care, and now the Paralympians who were possibly an inspiration to some recently disabled people in showing life can continue, are being slated because they might have endangered his future benefits.

I though original post was relevant and not depressing.
    There are far more depressing and personal posts on this site.
    I thought this was a serious site, not a place to ask what colour my next motabilty car should, or my pet or where my husband went. etc...

As a gesture I will not post any new threads. Best of luck!

This is a serious site - with lots of people posting who have very real difficulties/crises. Possibly the problem seems to be that the threads you have started seem (to me anyway) designed to wind people up or encourage people to argue with each other. I've read a few of them and posted in a couple and find it difficult sometimes to work out where you are coming from with some of this stuff

People come on here for help, support, and as can be seen a little bit of light relief from what life has thrown at them. I don't know whether it's just me, but it feels like the atmosphere has deteriorated on here in the past month or so. So much negativity, complaining. Yes we have problems and life at times is very tough, but there seems to be a real 'us and them' mentality on some of these divisive subjects that I don't think does anything positive for anyone.