Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Automatic/semi auto's on Motability

Large Automatic/semi auto's on Motability

My current car (Ford Mondeo) is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I am looking to replace it. Although I have been eligible for some years, I am now looking to go onto the Motability Scheme for the first time. I am looking for a similar sized car to my current Mondeo, well equipped and with a bit of poke. It must also be either automatic or semi-automatic.

Having had a look on the manufacturer’s websites, I see there are some cars available which do not show on the actual Motability website which is somewhat confusing. However yesterday I contacted Ford Mobility, Vauxhall Mobility and VW Mobility and confirmed the following cars are available to order on the scheme:

Ford Mondeo Titanium XBE 2.0TDCi 163PS PowerShift or

VW Passat Highline TDI BMT 2.0 6spd auto DSG or

Vauxhall Insignia Elite Nav 2.0CDTi (163PS)

I really like the VW Scirocco GT 2.0 TDI BMT 2.0 6spd auto DSG as well but that is heart ruling head!!

Before I go dealer visiting on Monday, I have tried to read up on the above vehicles, however does anyone have direct experience of any of the above?

Also are there any similar size/specced vehicles available on the scheme (regardless of whether or not they actually appear on the Motability website) and/or any hidden pitfalls/bonuses with using the scheme?

Thanks.
    Smithy
    Last edited by Smudger; 03-08-13 at 06:35.

I have a DSG gearbox car and it is great. Changes gear quickly and fuel economy good. I would recommend going for a car with that gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    I have a DSG gearbox car and it is great. Changes gear quickly and fuel economy good. I would recommend going for a car with that gearbox.
    Thanks for that CTCelt,

Although I have never driven a VW DSG equipped car, at work we have a Ford Focus Powershift which runs along similar lines and I agree these new gearboxes seem a lot better than the traditional autos's.

I am looking forwards to trying out the VW one to compare the difference if there is any.

Smithy

Paul is the guy who can help you, I'm sure he will be along later

I'm picking up my new Ford C Max on Tuesday complete with hoist and hand controls. I can't wait !

This will be my third MOTABILITY car but the first that I will be driving.

I think the MOTABILITY scheme is amazing and would be completely stuck without it. I really can't think of any pitfalls, hidden or otherwise but that's just my opinion of course.

I'm sure Paul will be around later.

Deleted
    Hi and welcome to YA Smithy , your opening post suggests you have a decent appreciation of cars.

The latest Euro compliant turbo diesels have the ability to break your heart if you're driving is mostly local (particulate filters tend to soot up)...this in turn leads to lots of failed re-gens etc. which could lead to dire mpg's ....I love the look of the Scirocco GT but IMO it's very limited space wise....in fact a VW Golf offers more practicality but it's as boring as 'ell to look at....lol
    Don't dismiss small petrol turbo blown engines.....they're as near as Damn it to turbo diesel mpg figures....especially if most of your driving is local.

Once you get back to us with a typical weeks driving style e.g. Journey distances, duration and average speeds........we'll be better placed to suggest which motors might suit you best.

I'm with Andypandy.....Motability pitfalls are few and far between.......I've been on the Scheme 18 years....yep, I know there are cheaper options but none of 'em offer the peace of mind I have with Motability.

Motability is the only Firm I know of in the UK that genuinely care about the end user

Sorry I haven't been around, I'm currently on a mini break in London seeing family and so I haven't been on my laptop much.

I have the CMax 2.0TDCi 163PS PowerShift and I rarely get past the 40mpg mark, most of the time it hovers around 36mpg although it does come up to 42mpg on the motorway if driven nicely.

As for choice of cars, if you want something the size of a mondeo with decent poke and (more importantly) looks nice, I'd personally go have a look at the VW CC GT 2.0 TDI BMT 6spd auto DSG with an AP of £2799 (which is only £4 more the the Mondeo Business Edition).

It's based on the Passat but look like a Merc CLS (to me anyway), it's very well specced too.

I'm that displeased with my cars economy that I will be changing cars shortly - the most likely car choice is the new Citroen Picasso, I've been waiting months for it to appear on the list.

You can view the VW pricelist on PDF here http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c...ure.pdf‎

You can use my easy-to-use spreadsheet to compare vehicles and the costs to run them too https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lvsDiesel2.xls
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

In fact using my spreadsheet, the Mondeo would be the most expensive to run over 3 years.
    You could save the equivalent of nearly £10/month by choosing the VW CC or £25/month by choosing the Insignia.
    Motability Car History
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

The VW cc is a lovely looking car. I test drove one a few months ago. I found it a little cramped and the rear headroom was not good. The Insignia is a great car, but I'm afraid I am biased - 36 years at Vauxhall has that effect!

Actually the new/updated Insignia looks like it might be very nice from the spy shots of the new interior it looks far better than old.
    Motability Car History

Thank you all very much for your comments and help. It is really useful stuff.

I am pleased the Motability scheme is so popular and it offers a good customer experience.

Gel, I expect to travel roughly 15k+ miles per year. I have semi-retired from my second career however every other Tuesday and every Friday I travel just over 60 miles down the A1/A1M to go into the office for two half days. Plus I do other general domestic motoring, days out and holidays etc. Plus in summer we regularly go to the horse racing around Yorkshire and surrounding counties. Therefore I am erring towards a diesel engined car as I think the regular 120 mile round trips on the A1 at least should negate any problems with the particulate filters etc?

Paul, thanks for the spreadsheet, really good stuff, however I am not sure how 'skewed' it will be as I get the war pension allowance so the advance payments differ by approx £1k. I have tried to work it out but ended up with all sorts of answers (mathamatics not being my strong point!).

I do like the sound of and look of the VW CC but I doubt I would be allowed by the wife to go down that route (sadly). Rather like the Sirocco it would be a pipe dream only. We need the larger car as we do end up taking our grandchildren and great grandchildren out fairly often. The two great grandchildren are still babies so have to have the necessary baby equipment (prams etc) as well as my own wheelchair in the boot.

I have arranged an appointment at the Ford garage for tomorrow to speak with the Motability sales chap and also on Tuesday, I going to see the VW dealer. Someone has suggested to try looking at Volvo's but I am not sure what is actually available from Volvo on the scheme that would fit our needs.

Many thanks to all again.
    Smithy