Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Have started an appeal on ESA

Quote Originally Posted by purpleears View Post
    Sent off the form and other paperwork on Friday. Also applied for the social fund crisis loan from our local council and they have refused my Mum any help, including foodbank vouchers. I don't understand how they expect her to survive, she is dangerously underweight as it is. I will be calling them again today to see if I can talk to someone. Hate how cruel this whole process is, and really hope this appeal will not go to a tribunal.
    Don't have any fears about a Tribunal in my experience they have proved far more reasonable and understanding than the DWP in reviewing your difficulties/case regarding ESA. Just stick to your guns and keep copies of everything in your dealings with the DWP ready to prepare a submission if it should go that far.
    Did you visit CAB/SHELTER or anyone else with regard to all these problems you have, you really could do with the face to face advice and support of a trained welfare worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    Don't have any fears about a Tribunal in my experience they have proved far more reasonable and understanding than the DWP in reviewing your difficulties/case regarding ESA. Just stick to your guns and keep copies of everything in your dealings with the DWP ready to prepare a submission if it should go that far.
    Did you visit CAB/SHELTER or anyone else with regard to all these problems you have, you really could do with the face to face advice and support of a trained welfare worker.
    We are going to the CAB (finally) this morning. Every time we went there was at least 15 people queuing and they only see the first 10 people but we are going extra early today so I truly hope we get lucky. Fingers crossed we leave there feeling a bit better. Thanks again Jard

Quote Originally Posted by purpleears View Post
    We are going to the CAB (finally) this morning. Every time we went there was at least 15 people queuing and they only see the first 10 people but we are going extra early today so I truly hope we get lucky. Fingers crossed we leave there feeling a bit better. Thanks again Jard
    Glad to see your doing the right thing, keep us informed of developments, all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    Glad to see your doing the right thing, keep us informed of developments, all the best.

Jard please can I ask for your advice? I rang my local council with the help of a CAB officer to let them know about our situation as my Mum receives housing benefit, and they said to give them a call on the 9th Sept, as our rent is fine and paid up until then, and someone will get sorted. I got a letter in the post yesterday from the same department asking my Mum why has she stopped claiming her benefits even though we explained the whole situation and said the housing benefit is being frozen so she doesn't get overpaid. How can she get overpaid? Does this mean if we are not able to make a full payment on rent, that we are going to get kicked out as they have stopped the benefit? I've been throwing up constantly with fear, haven't even shown my Mum the letter as I can not bare her reaction. I also managed to get 1 food bank voucher which is very helpful. I feel beyond low, I am shaking with fear we are going to lose our flat, I feel so powerless.

Thanks again, and I appreciate your help so much

purple

Hello Purple,
    Sorry to hear of this current problem, it looks to me the LA haven't heard from the DWP about your mums GL24 & (un)fitnote from your Doctor re:the Appeal, though they're quick enough to tell em benefit's stopped when you lose a decision,you have sent these in to the DWP haven't you ????.
    The best I can advise you is to contact the advice worker at CAB you have dealt with as early has you can on Tuesday and explain this to them. Take copies of the GL24 & (un)fitnote with you (you did make copies I hope) and ask if they can scan them through to those Departments for you. Failing that you can contact the LA/Housing provider yourself and ask if they can scan them into their system, if you visit them. Also phone the DWP on the number on the top of the letter that tells you benefit stopped to ensure they have received the GL24 & (un)fitnote to restart mums benefit, which will be at the Appeal rate.
    I think that should sort it out so try not to worry, like you said it's all paid up until the 9th Sept.

Another word of advice: try and stick (like glue) to that CAB Advice Worker, keep them abreast of all developments has and when they occurr, as they can address many problems has they arise something no one can do on the net.

My best to you both, try and get some sunshine over the weekend - if there's any about in your area that is.

Hi Jard,

Thank you so much for your advice. We sent forms off on the 16th of this month and have photocopied every sheet of paper we sent so I am able to fax those over if they need them. I had to ring up the council again to ask for more advice about the rent, and a woman actually said to me if you haven't 'paid up' by the 9th we are most likely to get 'chucked out and there is not much else I can be bothered to tell you'

Is it really that cut-throat? I haven't slept at all, I am literally tearing my hair out. She has made me feel like if we cannot pay on the 9th, we're out, no questions asked. I will go to the CAB on Tuesday as we have a bank holiday and hope I can resolve the situation that day.

I wish you all the sunshine you can get Jard, I cannot tell you how reassuring you have been and I cannot thank you enough. SW London is beyond rain

Hiya Purple,
    Don't worry: It's definitely not that easy to evict some one from their home, you just make sure they know you are waiting for the DWP to restart benefit in line with the Appeals Procedure. Any problems with that LA Officer again, make a point of finding out who your Local Councillor is and explain it to them, they are in a position to sort out things like that.

Glad to see you're sticking to the CAB like I advised.
    Take care and enjoy the weather.

Hi Jard,

Sorry I took ages to reply. My Mum got her appeal payment on Friday, we didn't discover it until Saturday. So this is good news, (a bit) and I have an appointment to make with the council to get her back on housing benefit. It's just waiting for their answer now but I am grateful we have come through having no money to survive on.

DASCAS actually rang Friday afternoon asking to see her as they have been made aware of the situation and are disgusted and want to help. Bless you Jard, for all of your help, I am very grateful.

Hiya Purple,
    Nice to hear from you given how things are taking shape, looking really positive now and heading in the right direction for you & mum, that's great. Particularly has you've got DASCAS involved, I've never heard of them before but I hope they'll be a real boon for you both and I wish we had something like that in my area (S.Wales) they look really useful from their website.

Anyway you keep us informed of how things develop and get in touch ASAP if there's anything you think you need advice on it's my pleasure to help you out, it makes me feel useful, though there are many good souls here with a wealth of knowledge so you won't be stuck.

So keep your chin up & put a smile on, cos things are shaping up pretty good.
    Last edited by Jard; 06-09-13 at 12:06.

Hello Jard,

You have been more than useful and I honestly will not shut up about your kindness. I appreciate kindness very much as I don't experience it often. My mum was rushed into A & E last week due to her aorta swelling up and has been there since, have never been so worried or upset in my life. I am finding it very hard to cope at home on my own but I am doing everything I can. I will attend the DASCAS appointment and have one with my local CAB again next week for more help. So overall, the process is still the same.

Hope you are well Jard, sending appreciation to you

Purple