Thread: Moving to a new area while claiming ESA

Moving to a new area while claiming ESA

Hello!

I am currently receiving ESA benefit and am in a work related activity group, and I will very shortly be moving to a different county. However, I am unsure on the procedure I need to follow. Do I inform my current local jobcenter about the move, or wait until I have moved before informing the jobcenter in the new location? As I am on ESA, will I need anything from my current doctor or should I wait until I've registered with a new surgery? Also, I am currently claiming housing/council tax benefit but as I will be moving in with family, I won't be claiming it after the move.

I just want everything to go as smooth as possible and can't find any help on my particular situation.

Thanks for any help!

I would use belt and braces approach,ie-i would inform the current jobcentre a few days before you move and then on moving day contact the new jobcentre by phone and post a letter to them the same day.Your GP notes will follow you but this could take 6-8 weeks.I'm not sure if you would need anything from your current GP as it is not a new claim.I'm sure there are other people on site who would be able to assist you futher.
    Good luck with the move.

Be sure to place a change of address with your local PO delivery Office, you can bet there will be letters sent to your old address for months to come and that can make life (with the DWP) very awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary-Poppins View Post
    I would use belt and braces approach,ie-i would inform the current jobcentre a few days before you move and then on moving day contact the new jobcentre by phone and post a letter to them the same day.Your GP notes will follow you but this could take 6-8 weeks.I'm not sure if you would need anything from your current GP as it is not a new claim.I'm sure there are other people on site who would be able to assist you futher.
    Good luck with the move.
    Thanks! Common sense, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    Be sure to place a change of address with your local PO delivery Office, you can bet there will be letters sent to your old address for months to come and that can make life (with the DWP) very awkward.
    I hadn't thought of that - good point!

Hi
    When i moved last year I just rang the dwp and notified them of my change of address because your benefit and bank account will stay the same it's only the address that changes, if your letter telling you of your benefit as jobcentre on just ring that number and tell them then when you have to go in for an interview you should get it from your new local jobcentre as the system is linked as far as i know but when you ring ask them if you have to notify anyone else. yes like jard said do the change of address at po i did it for 3months as that was the cheapest but turned out to be long enough goodluck