Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get rid of trident etc and catch up with France and Germany

Get rid of trident etc and catch up with France and Germany

Get rid of trident etc and all this ridiculous preoccupation and spending on sport.
    Let's try to have healthcare catch up with the rest of Europe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...alth-care.html

Interesting article. It's all a matter of priorities I fear... and the priorities of the general population are different (some would say the exact opposite!) to those who run the country.

This country is falling behind Europe with health and welfare. More concerned with old world military power and outdated monarchy.
    Many things are copied from the US which has a completely different system.
    I am sure some of these tories would bring in the 'right to bear arms' if they had to protect what's theirs.

Sure defence is needed..........but not fourth biggest spendor in world?

Not sure about where. I guess in line with size or economy. Many North European places have less.

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    How much is right then ? 5th ? 10th ? where should we come ?
    Right at the bottom, lets face it, we have lost our Global Empire a long time ago, we only cling onto the Falklands in the grim hope its oil fields will eventually mature ... from what I've heard in the grapvine of industry I used to work in, we can forget about that, by the time the Falkland oil fields will be profitable to drill for, we should have already moved onto better more efficient sources of energy than Oil ... if we have not done so by the time the Falkland fields are profitable for oil we are doomed, Oil will still be useful, but not the way it is just now, at least I hope for all our sakes so.

I would like to remind you Mr Whit, you are not the only one with a military background, and quite what that has to do with Science, politics or even the topic of this whole forum is beyond me.

Quite simply, we cant afford to keep pretending we are a major player, we can barely afford the latest Aircraft Carrier, we can barely afford the F-35 Aircraft program that we are contractually obliged to and as a great nation are to scared to tell America ... Enough we cant afford this Toy nobody needs, who needs all this advanced technology, really? The Russians must be laughing at us watching our military paranoid budget spiral ever upwards, The F-22 Raptor, what use has it ever had? the B2 Stealth Bomber, only used in small numbers in safe conflicts because they were so precious ... and they lost one even taking off, that one aircraft would pay for a small third world Country feeding for years.

Think about it Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    Sure defence is needed..........but not fourth biggest spendor in world?
    Exactly.

If anything we should be proportionately the worlds biggest bully

The extent of this delusion that England is a world power astounds me. UK is just not in line with rest of Europe and falling seriously behind.
    You only have to step off a plane in Europe or Asia to know which is the new Third world country. It interferes with world affairs while bigger and better off countries in Europe do not. They still survive. Military engagements like the Falklands are to protect a few wealthy expats interests only.

I heard the term 'The hooligan of Europe' to refer to the UK many years ago in Germany. Could this be applied to more than just sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    I heard the term 'The hooligan of Europe' to refer to the UK many years ago in Germany. Could this be applied to more than just sport.

I think the term "We are the USA's most obedient loyal long serving poodle" is more accurate

If we get out of line, we get a smack on the chin, if we behave we get some treats. Heck, even as fully committed to the doomed (mark my words) F-35 program as us, we are still not allowed to look at the F-35 code for its Electronics and Avionics, what sort of trust and commitment is this as a major partner? Its like sharing a bank account with your partner but only one has the pin number and control of the spending.

Really though, the idea we are any sort of world power or player anymore just now is a joke and we should put those ideas back in the Museum dark ages where they belong.

Sorry Dave.