Thread: Review of Drinking Aids including new handsteady product

Review of Drinking Aids including new handsteady product

We have a new post on our blog that reviews many of the drinking cups, gadgets and drinking aids available to disabled people. We feature the new Handsteady cup with a rotating handle.

Drinking aids for Disabled People Reviewed
    Drinking aids offer important, everyday assistance to those with health conditions such as tremors, Parkinsons and Cerebral Palsy. There are many innovative yet simple drinking aids available, and the newest one on the market is “handSteady”.
    The handSteady drinking aid is a drinks cup with a rotatable handle. Even though many everyday items have evolved in terms of design, it would seem that the humble cup has remained the same for centuries. Although many people find drinking from a normal cup easy, if you suffer from dexterity issues, tremors, weakness or muscle pain you will find that fixed-handled cups can cause pain and other difficulties.

For more info click here

I would say that this is a fairly good idea. I'm very particular when it comes to drinking mug or cup handles and my ability to carry one.

Your handy mug ticks a few boxes from my own point of view but unfortunately fails at the first hurdle.

Crack the spillage problem when in transit. My left upper and lower left limbs are weak. I can't walk at all unless I use an elbow crutch using my good right arm.

If I carry a mug of coffee using my bad left hand I can't fill the mug so I leave half an inch space at the top to prevent spillage but I always spill some on the carpet. Why you may ask.

Well after a a few feet the mug begins to droop down at the front. Then as my walking action isn't smooth I walk forward then stop - walk a step then stop. This causes a wave due to the sudden stop and propels the liquid out of the vessel.

From your design point of view I like the handle as you can get a better grip. I like the fact the handle protects your fingers from touching the side of the mug. But then you ask people to use there other hand to tip the hot mug (burning your finger in the process). Besides which I'd use my good hand to drink normally.

It's a good idea in principle but for true independence you might consider adding a lid (like a Costa coffee takeaway lid) to prevent spillage in transit - that's the missing link.

Hi lighttouch if you check out the website it shows a lid which stops spillage but from which you can also drink, just like the coffee chains.