Thread: That Brown Envelope

Question That Brown Envelope

This morning I got the brown envelope, the one that tells me about the changeover to ESA from Incapacity Benefit. I want this to go as smooth as possible, and I hope to end up in the ESA Support Group, since I am still ‘too unwell’ to return to work.

I have read many things on the internet about the change over and how ATOS treat those with mental health difficulties, so I need some advice on how to complete the form and what if any supporting documents I need to send to them.

I am under the CMHT and have a CPN who I am in regular contact with; I am hoping she will write me a letter of support. I have also recently been in hospital, twice for mental health issues, and I am waiting surgery in the near future for a physical health problem. I have a letter dated in April written by a therapist I was seeing, that was actually written to co-incide with a referral for surgery for a physical health problem. This letter indicates my mental health difficulties would it be a good idea to send a copy of that with the ESA Form.

Good morning. You are doing all the right things. Yes, send as much medical evidence as you can. Also I would advise you don't complete the form yourself. Go to CAB and they will do it for you.

If your CMHT has a Social Worker ask for their help in completing the form ESA 50, as Susie say's don't try and do it by yourself.

Good Luck

And don't forget to take copies of everything and send the copies, all with your NI number on them. Also take a copy of your filled in form and send it registered post.

Quote Originally Posted by susieboots View Post
    Good morning. You are doing all the right things. Yes, send as much medical evidence as you can. Also I would advise you don't complete the form yourself. Go to CAB and they will do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jard View Post
    If your CMHT has a Social Worker ask for their help in completing the form ESA 50, as Susie say's don't try and do it by yourself.

Good Luck
    Thank you both for your quick replies.

I am actually quite good at completing and filling out forms, just done a friend’s DLA form for a review and initially it was turned down and kept at the same rates, but we asked for them to look at the claim again, citing reasons why and she was awarded the higher rate of care and mobility. In fact, people do normally ask me for help! CPN thinks I should volunteer at the CAB!

Do you think I can find an ESA 50 form online to have a look at...?

Also spoke to my GP surgery to get copies of my recent admission / discharge notes, I also have an up to date care plan CPA to send in.

I was recently in hospital for two overdoses, overdoses and was admitted spent 20 days in the acute mental health ward, discharged and seven days later I overdoses again and spent three days on a medical ward! Not exactly well enough to return to work just yet!

If you Google for ESA50 you'll find a copy easy enough, they're all over the net, B&W, The Full Facts & DWP sites all have them, as jay say's copy everything, and: keep it for you're file in case you should need it later on.

NB: I would still advise you to get a professional to do you're form.

I couldn't get any help here in North Cheshire - nobody could come out within the time limits for returning to help, no appointments available at the CAB..

So I had no option but to join that other site, paid my £15 and followed all the instructions and examples to fill my form in myself. I didn't have a choice, and knew just from a glance that it wasn't going to be easy. It took me a week to fill it in a bit at a time.