Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new Car

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Update on my Car Hunt.

I am a bit downhearted and disappointed. I do not think car salesmen want to sell cars. I have vised 4 Car dealers today and it was a total waste of time. I wouldn't have minded but I had phoned and made appointments for each dealer.

At one place I was greeted with "What do you want?" after I politely said that I had an appointment with "D***" for Motability, She just looked and said "OH, Hang on" then called out "D***" this man wants you. D*** came over and said, "You want me for something" I explained who I was and that I had an appointment with him to discuss details of Motability Cars. I then gave him my list of things I required on a car. He stood there reading it and eventually said "Nah, I don't think we can help you you might be better going to another dealer" He handed me my list back and walked away.

The next place the salesman seemed to be keen and showed me two cars that were great. All was going well until he said "I hope realise that these models are not on Motability so you would need to pay for them yourself"

The next two dealers were just not interested at all, one said that they were going to stop selling to Motability and the other one just ignored me altogether.

I am back in my Hotel and I intend to just relax and forget today. I only hope that tomorrow will be a lot better. I am forever hopeful,
    Next time say you are keen on buying a car, don't mention Motability. Unfortuntely, a lot of dealers hate Motability and don't treat customers the same as they would if they were buying. If you have no luck in getting test drives, complain to Motability.

Disgraceful way to treat anyone. Would you even want a car from them in any event, because clearly you would be badly treated for service etc.

I can't fault my dealership - Victor Wood of Grantham (bit of a plug there lol). They go the extra mile whether a customer is purchasing or leasing motability

Update on my Car Hunt.

I am a bit downhearted and disappointed. I do not think car salesmen want to sell cars. I have vised 4 Car dealers today and it was a total waste of time. I wouldn't have minded but I had phoned and made appointments for each dealer.

At one place I was greeted with "What do you want?" after I politely said that I had an appointment with "D***" for Motability, She just looked and said "OH, Hang on" then called out "D***" this man wants you. D*** came over and said, "You want me for something" I explained who I was and that I had an appointment with him to discuss details of Motability Cars. I then gave him my list of things I required on a car. He stood there reading it and eventually said "Nah, I don't think we can help you you might be better going to another dealer" He handed me my list back and walked away.

The next place the salesman seemed to be keen and showed me two cars that were great. All was going well until he said "I hope realise that these models are not on Motability so you would need to pay for them yourself"

The next two dealers were just not interested at all, one said that they were going to stop selling to Motability and the other one just ignored me altogether.

I am back in my Hotel and I intend to just relax and forget today. I only hope that tomorrow will be a lot better. I am forever hopeful,
    Out of interest, what dealers were they? I know Macrare and Dick can be poor at customer service.

My word, I cannot believe how rude they were with you!!! Especially after you phoned them too. This is what is putting me off even looking tbh.

I wouldn't be as brave as you though, I know a trip is nice, but if I were to fall ill and need something doing to the car 120 miles seems quite a way away.

Another day, another dealer! I hope you have a more productive day today, and don't take a bulls..t

It's worth contacting Motability directly about those dealers - get them struck off the list.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Like Paul said, make an official complaint to Motability. Those dealers need to be reigned in.

Thanks for the reminder re Driving Licence.

As to the Demo Car, I have been on the phone for several days booking a time slot at different dealers and they are all expecting me. They all will have a car for me to test drive and some have said they will more than one model.

I will be spoiled for choice.
    Sounds like a fun couple of days

Well... Not the first day. Makes me sick to my stomach to think of how ignorant those dealers sounded..

Some dealerships are better than others.
    I had a bad experience about 7 years ago, went in and they looked at me and said "is it parts or servicing you require?"
    I walked away ......
    I went back to the same dealership a few days later and had exactly the same thing "is it parts or servicing you require?"
    I said, quite loudly; "I came here to buy a new car but will now look elsewhere".
    I went elsewhere. However the same dealership 3 years ago was superb.

"I hope realise that these models are not on Motability so you would need to pay for them yourself"
    Check the Motability site first as some models are no longer available on the scheme.
    http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and-wavs/search/