Thread: Could we have avoided this ESA stress?

Could we have avoided this ESA stress?

Currently a bit confused,i was/am on income support due to ill health,i get DLA high right care and low rate mobility.

My husband is my full time carer and gets carer's allowance.

I was recently sent the ESA50 and it is being processed but now i am reading things that are making me think that as my carer my husband could have claimed the income support instead of me and all of this ESA stress could have been avoided.

Is that true?

The only thing that worries me if it is true is that i have a DLA renewal coming up this year,they have told me i cannot migrate to PIP as my current award runs out before 24th February and i am scared that if he did do it that way they will punish me by removing my DLA so that he can no longer be deemed as my carer.

Very confused and very unwell at the moment so nothing makes sense,does anyone know how that works please?

I already struggle with all the working out the finances,he does all that anyway and still despite me asking in writing they have not changed my IS to go into his account,very confusing and frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by Worried View Post
    Currently a bit confused,i was/am on income support due to ill health,i get DLA high right care and low rate mobility.

My husband is my full time carer and gets carer's allowance.

I was recently sent the ESA50 and it is being processed but now i am reading things that are making me think that as my carer my husband could have claimed the income support instead of me and all of this ESA stress could have been avoided.

Is that true?

The only thing that worries me if it is true is that i have a DLA renewal coming up this year,they have told me i cannot migrate to PIP as my current award runs out before 24th February and i am scared that if he did do it that way they will punish me by removing my DLA so that he can no longer be deemed as my carer.

Very confused and very unwell at the moment so nothing makes sense,does anyone know how that works please?

I already struggle with all the working out the finances,he does all that anyway and still despite me asking in writing they have not changed my IS to go into his account,very confusing and frustrating
    it would have been better , yes, if your husband had claimed the IS for both of you as he gets CA. Not sure whether its too late now as you have already sent form, hope someone else on here can help

Thank you,yes i am thinking it probably is too late as i am now in the ESA system,not sure i trust them anyway,they would probably take away my dla so he wouldn't be allowed the carer's allowance anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Worried View Post
    Thank you,yes i am thinking it probably is too late as i am now in the ESA system,not sure i trust them anyway,they would probably take away my dla so he wouldn't be allowed the carer's allowance anymore
    i dont think the esa and the dla are related and I dont think they would take away the dla to punish you but, presumably as your dla is up for renewal soon you will be having to claim pip and then there is a possibility that you may not qualify and then yes your hubby would lose his carers but I still think it would have been worth doing it that way, hope one of the advisors will step in and let you know if its too late to backtrack, DW? Vikstar? anyone???

Thanks,i did ask if i could claim PIP this year because it's going to happen eventually and i wanted it over with but they said no because my award ends before 24th feb 2014 so i have to renew my dla again and wait until 2015 to be contacted about PIP.

I went to see if i could find the general benefit advice number but it no longer exists.

The answer to you're question "Could we have avoided this ESA stress" I think is NO, as it does seem you're whole benefit situation is in complete flux.

As DW indicates Income Support (IS) is in the process of changing to Universal Credit (UC), though when this due for IB/ESA claimants I have no idea but I think it will not be far away. With regard to your question about swapping the named (IS) claimant vis you're Husband v yourself, again I have no idea. As with everything that is going on now I don't think it's worth making your health worse worrying about any of it, just cross those bridges as and when they drop through the letter box.

Enjoy what you have now let tomorrow take care of itself.

Thankyou,my husband phoned the job center and they said yes it can be done but they don't deal with it in that department so they gave him another number but it is all automated and assumes you are making a claim as of then,if it really is possible for him to make a new claim i thought i would have to close mine first because you can't both claim it but it's too confusing,honestly i give up,will wait and see what atos say,my head hurts.

You could contact your local CAB and ask for a benefits check.