Thread: Advice needed

Ollimae

Advice needed

Hi

My daughter and son-in-law both have mental health problems. My daughter gets SDA and the lower rate of mobility DLA. My son-in-law gets the lower rate of mobility DLA and was on incapacity benefit but failed the ATOS test so is waiting for his appeal. He has been waiting for over a year so he now has been taken off the contribution based ESA and is on the income based ESA . Because my daughter gets £82.50 a week SDA they have deducted that from her husband's ESA so he is only being allowed £30.50 a week because we have been told that a couple only need £112 a week on which to live.

They have a mortgage of over £200 a month so could anyone please tell me if will they be able to claim for help with that.
    Last edited by Ollimae; 15-07-13 at 13:58.

Where's their carers - Social Workers etc with all this ??? this needs a professional adviser, contact you're LA Social Services dept ask to speak to the Welfare Rights Worker/Adviser or Cab or some other Advice organisation in you're area ASAP.

Their Carer(s) should be proactive with this. As mentioned earlier, contact Adult Social Services (Disabilities Team or Mental Health Team) and get a Welfare Rights Advisor on it.

Your daughter may have her SDA re-assessed under the new ESA rules, especially as he has been claiming since before 2001.I'm assuming she is not working, therefore maybe she should apply for ESA as a couple.
    As has been said, in these cases they really need professional advice.
    They could also talk to the mortgage lender.