Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a will

Making a will

Has anyone made a will and named charities as beneficiaries. I would be interested in how you made the choice of which charities. Having enjoyed many holidays on the canals and the Norfolk Broads I would like to support something in this area. Also I think small charities may be more in need than the larger ones which have a lot of publicity anyway. Thinking not the health related but smaller, more local ones for animals etc. As you can see this is causing some problems! What about the water aid, medicin sans frontieres, save the donkeys! My head is spinning! No children, a few nieces and nephews who don't know we exist (seems like it anyway). Any suggestions gratefully received.

I would name personaly where you want your money to go i.e your local animal welfare place or wherever you want it to go..Money to charites get eaten up with admin and tax.When my dad died the money from the collection was split 2 ways between the local health centre and the local MS society.The MS society bought something for one of their members that was needed but they could'nt afford and the Health centre put it towards a piece of equipment needed that they did'nt have the money to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Has anyone made a will and named charities as beneficiaries. I would be interested in how you made the choice of which charities. Having enjoyed many holidays on the canals and the Norfolk Broads I would like to support something in this area. Also I think small charities may be more in need than the larger ones which have a lot of publicity anyway. Thinking not the health related but smaller, more local ones for animals etc. As you can see this is causing some problems! What about the water aid, medicin sans frontieres, save the donkeys! My head is spinning! No children, a few nieces and nephews who don't know we exist (seems like it anyway). Any suggestions gratefully received.
    It would also depend on what amount you are talking about.
    A larger sum could be put into a trust or bursary for a longer term plan.

Have considered a bursary as I was latterly a science teacher. The sum involved, if we don't manage to spend it, and we have always watched the pennies, will be what I consider sizeable but not excessively so. Maybe I should have asked for suggestions how to spend it instead! We've worked for it and I would really like to spend it on us. So no begging letters please!

Hi Firebird if your health is up to it why not treat yourself to another holiday where you like going and visit some of the charites there to see which you like then make the decision from there that way you get to spend some hard earned cash on you xx

How are you Acheron? I would love to spend my days cruising but we still have a canine family member. We went on a cruise once and I was talking to a gentleman with multiple cancers who asked would you prefer to spend your money in a nursing home or on a cruise? They were off to India after that cruise. We would rather not leave anything but are rather like the king in his counting house, keep ogling the numbers and wondering how did we do that. Got to get a life before ..................

not too bad thank you Firebird can't blame the gent for wanting to spend his last cruising
    don't really know much about wills and bursery's and stuff if I was you I try and enjoy your life as much as possible with the dog (love dogs ) and like I say you might stumble upon a small charity that you feel is right you could leave anything you have left to them xx

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Maybe I should have asked for suggestions how to spend it instead! We've worked for it and I would really like to spend it on us.
    Well that's certainly another option.

I guess the question is, which would enrich your lives the most.

I first made a will 16 years ago after my divorce came through. After my sister died 18 months ago I ripped it up as it was so out of date. So at present my parents would benefit from my demise.

I really need to make a fresh one with assets in excess of a third of a million quid and no debts.

I already give to Water Aid having seen the living conditions in parts of Africa.

I wouldn't donate to guide dogs for the blind as they are a cash rich charity who receive 5 times more than the NSPCC!

I don't know about everyone else but I find it difficult to spend as I have traveled far and wide around the world while my health was up to it.

As far as I'm concerned when I'm gone that's it I'm not fussed what happens to my estate.

If you want to put your name down as a benefactor please form an orderly queue here.

Thank you.

I Richard ****** being in sound mind I spent the lot