Thread: Doubt raised over jsa due to religous beliefs

FCUK

Doubt raised over jsa due to religous beliefs

Ok So I finished a temp job I had once I got back from holiday and have been signing on for 2weeks. I'm a on programme with Intraining. Here's the situation:

Ok so I attended a interview a role that went through Intraining and the employer was very happy with me and apparently sang my praises. I was told at the start that this job may include weekends but you can be on a shift that runs from Mon-Fri which is perfect for me cause weekends I cannot work cause of family commitments and plus I am a Roman Catholic so working Sunday's is out of the question for me. When the interview finished I told a guy at Intraining to see if he could raise the issue I had with working the weekends but he told me he wouldn't as to not put the guy off straight away so it was left to me to explain when the guy contacted me with a 'potential offer'. I went on to explain how weekends are difficult for me as I have family commitments, plus although I drive I don't have my car at weekends as brother uses it for work and so on. The guy explained to me that it would be awkward to work around for not only me but himself also and so the job offer was not made.

Now intraining have contacted me asking when I start as they were led to believe that I would get an offer and I told them the situation that an offer was not made once these issues were raised. They have taken this to believe I turn it down cause I don't wanna work weekends and have now got to raise a doubt with the jobcentre. Because from there side there was potential employment but I didn't take it for reason stated above and cause it was never on my notes I couldn't work Sunday...so at the time I was available Mon-Sun.

My mistake was not informing Jobcentre of the issues working weekends and because of that intraining have said I am available all days and times, but if this was stated on my file then they wouldn't be offering me work that includes weekends. Now I have to contact the jobcentre to add the fact I cannot work sundays onto my file and so my file with intraining will be updated. Still, a doubt has to be raised. Where do I stand?

What happens once a doubt is raised, do payments stop? Will anything even happen cause intraining said that even though a doubt is raised nothing may come of it. Cause they will put in their doubt the reason I couldn't work mainly being the issue with Sunday. I still stand by the fact an offer for employment was not made, he didn't offer me a role and then I told him the issue. I explained the issue and that was it...no offer.

Please help me, whats your advice?

So it's not just religion then is it, it is also that you do not have transport.
    Sorry but the days when Sunday was a rest day in this country because people went to Church has sadly long gone, also sorry I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will come along who can.
    Sea Queen

Account removed
    I would say that your not refusing to work, Monday to Friday but indicating how difficult it would be for you to work on the week end.

But do not say your refusing to work Sunday because of your religion, Sunday under the law now has been deemed to be a normal day of work.

So what you need to state is look I'm willing to accept the offer of work which was Monday to Friday, but cannot for family reason be expected to work weeks ends.

You should then inform Intraining that due to circumstances beyond you control you would find it impossible to work week ends.

A job of work can state that part of your job offer will include some week end work or all week end work, what they cannot do is expect you to work Monday to Friday and then the week end.

But boy is this a pot of worms these days.

The doubt raised will be passed to a decision maker who'll look at it then decide if you'll be sanctioned. Can sometimes take a few weeks for JSA to be stopped. You'll get a letter if you've been sanctioned and can appeal the decison and it will be looked at again. First sanction is for 4 weeks , but if you're considered to be vulnerable, hardship payments may be considered.

You'll ahve to speak to your advisor to agree to change your JSA agreement booklet to reflect what hours you're available for work. This is the booklet which outlines all the things you have to do each week as a minimum to be paid JSA.

Treborc is right it is a pot of worms now.

Most Catholic churches have a Saturday mass (first mass of the weekend) around 5 PM to 7 PM, so your using your religion as a poor excuse, now if you were Muslim..........
    Last edited by Richard; 11-07-13 at 07:46.