Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going abroad??? Am I a now crook? I paln to go abroad soon for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
    I've just started to have holidays abroad after many years and was saying to a friend that I feel really guilty. She told me not to be silly because I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out in the evenings and don't go out at weekends, so holidays are my vice !
    I don't blame you, life is for living and enjoying. Enjoy all your future holidays as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    No court or anything, just get a letter from DWP telling you that you must inform them of any stays away from home. I just wrote back that I didn't realise and very sorry. Nothing else was heard about it. For other trips I just informed them, filled in the form and got a reply saying I could go. I actually went abroad 3 or 4 times a year and had no problems with DWP at all.
    How do they know though?

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I don't blame you, life is for living and enjoying. Enjoy all your future holidays as well.
    Thanks beau

That's really kind of you

Quote Originally Posted by amalie View Post
    How do they know though?
    Maybe biometric passports

Quote Originally Posted by amalie View Post
    How do they know though?
    Because usually some "well meaning individual" will tell them.

They may also know because passports are scanned and informaion is shared.

Trips are always assumed to be a 'Holidays'. Waking up in a foreign hospital is no holiday.
    All because treatments are too expensive or unavailable on NHS. It's just helping yourself.

Checking passports is a bit far to go??? The cost,effort etc could be better used to prevent real crime.
    I often wonder how much is spent on checking up on innocent people going abroad. Reviews etc. must cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-badger View Post
    Absolutely agree. If you are well enough to go on several holidays..... Would this contradict your claim?
    suppose it depends how your illness/disablity affects you

Illness or disability does not disappear when you go abroad. It goes with you.
    Having a problem for many years makes a person aware of ways to cope and work within the limits.
    Nothing to do with money. Booze, smoking eating out in UK, can and do cost more.
    DWP would prefer you just watch TV. In a sense we can become afraid to improve our situation.
    What is the big difference between being here and being abroad? Or perhaps that miracle drug will appear while we are away.

Surely this has to be totally dependent on an individuals claim.
    Providing holidays for disabled people is big business, wouldn't be much of a business if disabled people can't go on holiday for fear of losing their benefit, Lourdes would be a ghost town.