Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going abroad??? Am I a now crook? I paln to go abroad soon for a month.

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    I didn't mean paying tax exempted me from any rules, I was pointing out that my IB was not spent on holidays, IB was used for living expenses.
    O.K. understand now. So it was just malicious, nasty, jealous people, questioning how you could afford to go on holiday.

There are some right AxxxHxxxS around, aren't there.
    Last edited by vikstar; 05-07-13 at 20:26.

Account removed
    The first thing for me anyway is that I must be lucky I've only had pretty good treatment from the DWP.

Next if your going on holiday just go so long as your only going to be gone for two weeks.

I doubt if your gone for a little longer unless you tell them, they'll not know, although if your going for longer then 28 days it's a risk.

The people who get found out are normally the people who are silly. like the lady who claimed DLA and IB who went with her boy friend he took lots of photos of her, doing stupid things like claiming ladders coming down water shoots, then they split up and she made an issues about it he sent in the film and the photo's .

Then the lady who went out on holiday and did the parachute jump, the chap in the camera shop knew she was disabled claiming benefits he sent the film into the DWP.

So when you go on holiday be careful who takes your photo and who is watching you and remember if you cannot walk in the UK you should not be able to walk in Spain or where ever.

My illness is in part an episodic thing. On occasion I have been sick abroad and it really is a problem, for which I pay dearly. I cannot tell DWP ( I get SDA and DLA). The attitude is 'I wish I could afford a trip'. But G.P. supports my reasons. Alternative therapies and living cost is far lower in some places. Not that I go often.

There are posters in airports which clearly call claimants criminals. They have 'snitchlines' for thing's overheard in check-in queues. 'It's your moey they are taking... etc.' Can the DWP demand a look at passports.

It's not your actual passport they gain access to. All passports are monitored. Customs Officials can see when a passport has been in and out of the Country.

I can't afford real holidays, I can't go out of the Country anymore, because my Benefit income simply does not provide for that, and nor would I expect it to. However, if my family were to ask me to holiday with them and pay for me, then I would jump at the chance, and I certainly wouldn't expect to explain to the DWP who paid for my holiday!

In certain countries the climate is beneficial for some health issues - asthma, arthritis etc. If someone can benefit from 2 weeks respite from pain and discomfort, I say good luck to them and have a great holiday while you can.

I just wondered about those caught going abroad without informing. Is it court or an instant criminal record?
    Some kind of investigation? Even if it is for treatment or perhaps a family funeral?
    It is ridiculous. Being ill means fewer human rights.
    Even the way the DWP talk on the phone is very authorative, and would not be tolerated in a company.
    It appears people who claim benefits are less worthy of respect.

It certainly feels that way Blackball

Quote Originally Posted by Blackball View Post
    I just wondered about those caught going abroad without informing. Is it court or an instant criminal record?
    Some kind of investigation? Even if it is for treatment or perhaps a family funeral?
    It is ridiculous. Being ill means fewer human rights.
    Even the way the DWP talk on the phone is very authorative, and would not be tolerated in a company.
    It appears people who claim benefits are less worthy of respect.
    No court or anything, just get a letter from DWP telling you that you must inform them of any stays away from home. I just wrote back that I didn't realise and very sorry. Nothing else was heard about it. For other trips I just informed them, filled in the form and got a reply saying I could go. I actually went abroad 3 or 4 times a year and had no problems with DWP at all.
    Last edited by beau; 06-07-13 at 08:07.

I suppose ignorance is best as someone posted. If you inform once...then you must do so again.
    If you are disabled you must be seen to be disabled. Seems the case. Do they even consider what supportive GP might say.
    Why do they treat every claimant with such suspicion.
    The DLA is hard to get, with the lowest fraud rate of any benefit. If you have it then you are disabled.

Just tell em, you only have to look through forums like this for a half hour or so, the current climate is: the slightest excuse you're benefits could be gone. Like beau say's tell em - no problems, my view you're foolish otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-badger View Post
    3 or 4 holidays abroad a year? That's more than in my lifetime!
    I've just started to have holidays abroad after many years and was saying to a friend that I feel really guilty. She told me not to be silly because I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out in the evenings and don't go out at weekends, so holidays are my vice !