Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptations?!

I will definitely look into it.

Thank you

Since it's your parents property you might find the council wont change anything unless one of your parents need it, like i previously said every council is different. You said about you and your partner thinking of living together but due to budgets etc it's a problem. You both could join your local council for a property and housing associations, due to your health you could stress you need to be living near your parents it used to be called social reasons don't know what they call that now. You can be assessed by the council on medical grounds so get extra points and be put on the list for disabled properties these usually have a wet room and level access. You might have to wait a while for a property but at least you'd get the ball rolling and the property would be more affordable than private rented. Good luck with it hope you can get something sorted. Goodluck

Thanks for the advice.

I have been told that as I'm 25, I would still only be eligible for housing benefit for a room in a shared house..I can't live in a shared house due to mental health, but apparently this would not entitle me for anything more..

I just can't win.

I have a swivel bather, which goes over the bath which is fine for me because I have carers to lift my legs over into the bath, they may suggest something like this, depending on their available budget. If I was you I'd push for a DFG, but they generally aren't easy to get.

Let us know how you get on

A swivel bather could help me massively.

I will let you know

Yes please do flower. Ring them first thing and don't be fobbed off

This kind of situation really annoys me as what would the L/A do if you didn't have your parents to live with?
    I think they would come up with the right kind of accommodation for you - others get it. They are generally very happy to sit back and let people struggle until the 'have' to do something.
    I hope you get sorted in one way or another
    Sea Queen

Hi Flowergirl. Everyone has given you excellent advice here's my thoughts.

If you're living in your parents council house it might be just your mum and dad are joint tenants. I don't think the Council would do a major facelift to that propery as you're not a joint tenant - I assume.

There is an adaptation you could have supplied by the Council's Occupational Health services.
    1 You could ask for floor raising blocks. Basically a plastic rectangular box whoose height you adjust to make getting in and out easier.
    2 A vertical grab rail to help support yourself.3 A swivel bath seat. This sits on top of the bath. You sit in it and swival the chair around to face the shower.

Like you I need a walk-in shower but at the moment I have to step into bath and use tvarious things to hold on too.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Council offered double showers with body jets. Now that would make showering much more fun. Sorry was just remembering . . . that's a diffect story.

Now please keep on track - next please!

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    This kind of situation really annoys me as what would the L/A do if you didn't have your parents to live with?
    I think they would come up with the right kind of accommodation for you - others get it. They are generally very happy to sit back and let people struggle until the 'have' to do something.
    I hope you get sorted in one way or another
    I did ask if they would consider accommodation for me and they told me not only is there a long waiting list - but because of my age, housing benefit wouldn't cover the cost. I just can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Hi Flowergirl. Everyone has given you excellent advice here's my thoughts.

If you're living in your parents council house it might be just your mum and dad are joint tenants. I don't think the Council would do a major facelift to that propery as you're not a joint tenant - I assume.

There is an adaptation you could have supplied by the Council's Occupational Health services.
    1 You could ask for floor raising blocks. Basically a plastic rectangular box whoose height you adjust to make getting in and out easier.
    2 A vertical grab rail to help support yourself.3 A swivel bath seat. This sits on top of the bath. You sit in it and swival the chair around to face the shower.

Like you I need a walk-in shower but at the moment I have to step into bath and use tvarious things to hold on too.

Wouldn't it be fun if the Council offered double showers with body jets. Now that would make showering much more fun. Sorry was just remembering . . . that's a diffect story.

Now please keep on track - next please!
    You are correct..I have been told that they wouldn't do any major changes as I am not listed as one of the tenants..no, i've just lived here for more than half of my life(I was a child when we moved into this house) and don't feel up to living on my own due to depression/anxiety/etc..I just wouldn't cope.

The floor raising blocks sound interesting. I have mental images of giant lego pieces O.o (maybe that's the inner-child?!)

The best option (apart from the walk in shower) seems to be the swivel chair....I wonder if I could get letters from my consultant/physiotherapist to confirm that I just..can't climb in and out of the bath?!

Body jets? ooft...