Thread: Getting back to work

Getting back to work

Hi there, I am receiving ESA in the support group and DLA lower rate mobility benefit.

I am feeling a little better health wise and am looking at returning to work part time. I understand I am allowed to do 16 hours permitted paid work under the permitted work scheme.

How does this work? Do I find a part time job then let the ESA people know? Or do I need approval for the scheme first? Any advice would be much appreciated.

The support group is for people unable to work at all, maybe if you work your 16 hours per week you will end up in the WRAG, be very careful.

Thanks Richard, this is what I am worried about. I feel ok to work a non demanding job part time, but am worried they might cut me off altogether and then I need to find a full time job which I am not well enough to do yet. I am going to consider my options very carefully.

I think you asked this question in another thread FD

Quote Originally Posted by Fairydust1978 View Post
    Thanks Richard, this is what I am worried about. I feel ok to work a non demanding job part time, but am worried they might cut me off altogether and then I need to find a full time job which I am not well enough to do yet. I am going to consider my options very carefully.
    in which case Fairydust perhaps you should start off slowly and maybe try doing a little volunteering work first, just to test the waters, before you go for a proper part time job.

Hi Fairy dust
    I agree with help_me, maybe try some voluntary work to begin with. It is a good way to get back into a social and working environment, without all the stress etc. Just volunteer for a couple of hours to begin with and see how it goes. It will tell you if you are ready for work both mentally and physically. When you have not been able to work for a while, it can be very stressful to go back into that environment. So take it slowly, one step at a time.
    You can always make an appointment with a PA/ disabilities advisor at your local job centre to discuss your options. I did this a few years back when I was still able to do some work. My advisor was extremely understanding and very helpful.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

HI fairy dust got to agree with babyblu64 and help-me voluntary work seems the best way forward good luck with it all

Thanks everyone. I am currently doing volunteering work 5 hours a week, the job centre are aware of this. I will see the DEA and let you know how I get on.