Thread: Appt at council

Appt at council

Had an appt today with a debt councilor at the council offices, am not actually in debt but my borough are insisting you see one if you apply for DHP. Was dreading appt it was to run through my outgoings with a fine toothed comb and I thought he would be strict and not allow anything but bread and pullit. Anyway the man was really nice and easygoing,but he doesn,t think I will get the DHP as apparently only 20 claiments in my borough have actually been awarded it for bedroom tax and their circumstances were dire. When the calculations were done my way there was a little bit of disposable income (on paper that is, the reality is that there is always too much month left at the end of the money!) But the way the man did it it worked out exact, ie after paying bedroom tax nothing left even for emergency, he thinks they will say, well you can afford to pay as not paying rent could cause an emergency. Funnily when I got home there was a programme on tv about how councils are wasting money, Did anyone see it? I had to laugh, the interviewer asked one man if the trip he had taken at the councils expense really needed to have cost £7000, to which he replied well it was for two people lol

Imaigne even if someone is in debt it won't make much difference. Unless it's mortgage or a loan secured on a house. As rent, mortgage and council tax are classed as priorities, debts from credit cards and loans come last. Anyone on benefits can contact a creditor and arrange for their payments to be reduced to £1 or nil if that's how bad things are.

There's not much the banks etc can do but accept it, as a judge would never award payment of more for someone reliant on benefits if the bank took them to court and the banks know this. A bank will never try to bankrupt someone who has no money or assets eg house , as it costs them several hundreds pounds to gain zero. They might threaten to do so but won't carry it through.

And seems as how banks are one of the main reasons the UK is in the mess it's in, hell mend them.

DHP's were brought in as lip service to try and lessen BT backlash.
    They are budget and time limited and also seem allocated to "high risk" claims.
    The biggest opponents to the BT are the LA's and HA's, not due to the financial concerns for tenants but due to the lack of housing stock and the legality of enforcing this policy.

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    Had an appt today with a debt councilor at the council offices, am not actually in debt but my borough are insisting you see one if you apply for DHP. Was dreading appt it was to run through my outgoings with a fine toothed comb and I thought he would be strict and not allow anything but bread and pullit. Anyway the man was really nice and easygoing,but he doesn,t think I will get the DHP as apparently only 20 claiments in my borough have actually been awarded it for bedroom tax and their circumstances were dire. When the calculations were done my way there was a little bit of disposable income (on paper that is, the reality is that there is always too much month left at the end of the money!) But the way the man did it it worked out exact, ie after paying bedroom tax nothing left even for emergency, he thinks they will say, well you can afford to pay as not paying rent could cause an emergency. Funnily when I got home there was a programme on tv about how councils are wasting money, Did anyone see it? I had to laugh, the interviewer asked one man if the trip he had taken at the councils expense really needed to have cost £7000, to which he replied well it was for two people lol
    Glad it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be.

I didn't see the programme but how ridiculous - two people indeed !