Thread: Epilesy - Claiming both ESA & PiP advice.

Epilesy - Claiming both ESA & PiP advice.

Hi everyone!

Due to suffering from epileptic seizures (grand mal) each week, I'm looking into making a claim for benefits - both ESA & PiP.

I've read that with ESA you need to score via a points system. Does anyone know what points I score for this condition? Do I also need points for PiP?

This is all new (and confusing) to me so would appreciate any tips on making a claim.

Rose.

[QUOTE=Rose1970;39359]Hi everyone!

Due to suffering from epileptic seizures (grand mal) each week, I'm looking into making a claim for benefits - both ESA & PiP.

I've read that with ESA you need to score via a points system. Does anyone know what points I score for this condition? Do I also need points for PiP?

Hello Rose

Welcome to YA

I can give you some information on ESA but PIP I can't help I'm afraid. As for ESA, well both really the more evidence you can get the better. So if you can get a letter from your GP, consultant, people like that so much the better.

Here are some links which you may find useful. I'm sure other members will help you too. Any more questions, just ask.

From what you say you should get the 15 points this doesn't necessarily mean you will and it doesn't mean you will be put in the support group, which basically means you won't be expected to look for work. 15 points or more just means you may be put into the work related activity group. Others will be able to explain better than me I think, but at least there is something below you can get your teeth into for now.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e/how-to-claim

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/ I'm sure the epilepsy charities will have people there to help

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
    Last edited by andypandy; 16-06-13 at 12:30.

vikstar
    [QUOTE=andypandy;39370]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose1970 View Post
    Hi everyone!

Hello Rose

Welcome to YA

I can give you some information on ESA but PIP I can't help I'm afraid. As for ESA, well both really the more evidence you can get the better. So if you can get a letter from your GP, consultant, people like that so much the better.

Here are some links which you may find useful. I'm sure other members will help you too. Any more questions, just ask.

From what you say you should get the 15 points this doesn't necessarily mean you will and it doesn't mean you will be put in the support group, which basically means you won't be expected to look for work. 15 points or more just means you may be put into the work related activity group. Others will be able to explain better than me I think, but at least there is something below you can get your teeth into for now.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...e/how-to-claim

http://www.epilepsy.org.uk/ I'm sure the epilepsy charities will have people there to help

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk

This information below has been taken from the above website and I assume this is the question that applies to you.

If I am correct in thinking that the above is actually part of the B and W guides, which you have to pay to access, (which I have deleted out from the quote) which I think are written by the site owners, you need to be careful as they could be copyright protected.

You could get YA and yourself in trouble as this could be classed as unauthorised publication.

I am no expert on copyright laws, but just thought that I would offer a word of caution. You might want to delete that part of your post to be on the safe side.

There is a difference between putting things into your own words with reference to any copyright protected publications and actually copy and pasting it word for word.

I don't know whether the site owners would mind, but I have never seen an actual copy and paste of them anywhere else.

As you will gather, I am a member of B and W, like yourself, that's how I recognised the copy and paste.
    Last edited by vikstar; 15-06-13 at 19:35.

vikstar
    [QUOTE=vikstar;39388]
    Quote Originally Posted by andypandy View Post

If I am correct in thinking that the above is actually part of the B and W guides, which you have to pay to access, (which I have deleted out from the quote) which I think are written by the site owners, you need to be careful as they could be copyright protected.

You could get YA and yourself in trouble as this could be classed as unauthorised publication.

I am no expert on copyright laws, but just thought that I would offer a word of caution. You might want to delete that part of your post to be on the safe side.

There is a difference between putting things into your own words with reference to any copyright protected publications and actually copy and pasting it word for word.

I don't know whether the site owners would mind, but I have never seen an actual copy and paste of them anywhere else.

As you will gather, I am a member of B and W, like yourself, that's how I recognised the copy and paste.
    Just had a look at the guides, and they are copyrighted, so I would delete that part of your post ASAP if I was you.

"Copyright © 2009-2013 Steve Donnison and Holiday Whitehead. All rights reserved. No part of
    this work may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means (photocopying, electronic,
    recording or otherwise), without the prior written permission of the authors. Crown copyright material
    is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland."

vikstar
    Post deleted because of duplication, as post above appeared after a delay.
    Last edited by vikstar; 16-06-13 at 09:36.

PIP also works on a points system Rose, and the criteria do imply that the condition has to be pretty much ongoing. Obviously with epilepsy the claimants condition can vary a lot day to day, so it would appear that the need for supervision is going to be crucial to PIP claims.
    As with DLA and epilepsy I would say that it is always important to try to keep an epilepsy diary, and to always try to take into account the length of time needed to recover fully from a seizure. Whether you get any warning signs of a seizure is also important, as well as any unusual behaviour beforehand. Other people close to you can often provide more realistic information on these things than you can yourself.
    PIP claims are made initially by phone. You need to simply give your personal details and bank details, and then a form is sent out for completion, followed by a face to face assessment. You have nothing to lose by starting off the claim process, but might want to think about waiting a little while until people know more about how the assessments are being handled?

Thanks guys,

I just thought I was helping someone out but I would hate to get into trouble. I have NO clue about copyright, as you may have guessed !

Thanks all for your replies.

Yes is does seem overly complex, but hope to get these claims sorted out (fingers crossed!). As another poster mentioned, I will asked the members of the UK Epilepsy forum for detailed explanations & advice re benefits.
    Last edited by Rose1970; 16-06-13 at 12:35.

Let us know how you get on Rose, its always good to get feedback

Take care