Thread: Welfare rights advice and in particular appeal representation

glasgowadviser

Welfare rights advice and in particular appeal representation

Working in this field I would be interested to know opinions on the service they have received if any.

What helped, what didn't?

Hi GA,
    I personally find the help of a Welfare Rights Advisor to be invaluable, and have advised many people on this forum to seek help from one.

I'll start with the downside, since that's shortest...
    They (advisors), don't know the claimant all that well either, so aren't likely to have an intimate knowledge of their conditions and how it affects them. I'm sure you'll know better than me, but it must be difficult to tease out information that would be helpful or relevant from claimants, even more so in cases where they have learning difficulties or mental health problems, or if the health problems are of an embarrassing nature.

Positives - Advisors know the laws and regulations, along with case histories that might help the claimant. They'll know what is relevant too, and which parts to put more emphasis into.
    It can also be quite daunting going to these places on your own, having tried that myself once before. Just having someone else in your corner, even if the advisor doesn't have to do any of the fighting, is very reassuring. I once went to a Tribunal with the help of my local WRO advisor who, before i was due to go, asked if i wanted him there, he said he's only be there to "hold my hand" since i had already done his work for him! LOL

The trouble is, for a claimant attending these Tribunals, it can be stressful and overwhelming, with such at lot at stake. At my last appeal i had an idea of the things i had wanted to say, but it went so badly that by the time i got the chance to speak i had forgotten what i had intended saying. Typical me...

Shortly after my last Tribunal i said a couple of things in posts on here about my advisor which i didn't really mean. I was hurting and licking my wounds. I had been denied the opportunity to respond to a point where the Tribunal Judge had attacked my credibility, and when my advisor tried to help out, he too was shouted down. He didn't have much chance either, the Judge was terrible. I'm convinced she had her mind made up before i set foot in the room. To be honest, i don't know where i would have been without him.

If only ATOS got it right in the first place!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

when I went to an appeal on my own I found it stressful and had a TIA and was quite unwell for somewhile after, I also lost my appeal.
    When I went again with an advisor, who had also visited me at home and completed my forms for me, I was given low rate care, and the whole process was less daunting.

My sister sought the assistance of a Welfare Rights Advisor and the same Advisor represented her at her DLA Tribunal Hearing. My sister only had to say her name, and her Advisor dealt with everything else. She has nothing but praise for him and recommends their services. I can't find the service in my area - has the service changed its name?

I also haven't a clue where I would find a welfare rights advisor to help me.

Hello SusieB & Jay, Try you're Local Authority Social Services Dept, ask specifically for Welfare Rights Worker.

from googlybears OP

Shortly after my last Tribunal i said a couple of things in posts on here about my advisor which i didn't really mean. I was hurting and licking my wounds

Googlybear, at least you are big enough to re-post and say that a previous post was written whilst you were hurting - good of you for that!
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    Its not ATOS DWP make the call and however bad a job atos do, the DM makes the call. Given the number of reports DM have seen from atos by now they should be ble to spot the bad ones.

Also atos and dwp work from forms filled in by US and the few people in the know how to fill them in means many forms must look like a dogs dinner........... there are not many people in the bigger picture posting on forums who know how to fill forms in

there are millions on dla and esa and still on IB a straw count of forums would get you less than 20,000 active in the know people IMO of course.

I am no atos fan but like the blame to fall fair and square at DWP where it belongs they pay atos.
    I'm aware that the DWP are the ones making the decision Dave, but when they're fed misinformation from an HCP, it's clear where the fault lies...

Quote Originally Posted by sea queen View Post
    from googlybears OP

Shortly after my last Tribunal i said a couple of things in posts on here about my advisor which i didn't really mean. I was hurting and licking my wounds

Googlybear, at least you are big enough to re-post and say that a previous post was written whilst you were hurting - good of you for that!
    Cheers SQ, i could quite easily go back and delete the post, but what's the point? Can't take back things that have already been said, and they can also be a record for me what was going on at that time. With my memory, it could easily be forgotten...

I'm also quite happy to admit when i'm wrong ...