Thread: car tax exemption certificate

car tax exemption certificate

I've just bought myself a little car and hope to start driving again. How do I go about getting car tax exemption? I have rung DLA and they are going to send me a form out, it takes 7-10 days to arrive.
    I paid 12 months tax upfront when I bought the car. I am hoping to reclaim most of this.
    I usually do things online, but is it correct that using the certificate for the first time I have to do it in the post office?
    How do I tax the car if the car already has tax on it?
    Do I reclaim a refund first or after taxing in the post office?
    I am waiting for the V5 to arrive as the dealer put the car straight into my name as a 2nd owner. I was told the V5 takes about 4 weeks to arrive.
    I much prefer to do things online.
    Chris

Yes, you can use the car tax exemption form at your post office. However, once the V5 reg document has been re-classified as 'disabled' it can be done online, but personally i never have success with that!

As you know, once you've taxed your car in 'disabled' class, you can then reclaim what's left on your old car tax disc - they will refund every full month left on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Frog View Post
    I usually do things online, but is it correct that using the certificate for the first time I have to do it in the post office?
    Yes, but only go to a Post Office that can issue car tax - or a local DVLA Office

How do I tax the car if the car already has tax on it?
    You are reclassifying the car which will exempt it from tax, you will not be taxing it twice.

Do I reclaim a refund first or after taxing in the post office?
    You might be able to do it whilst at the Post Office

I am waiting for the V5 to arrive as the dealer put the car straight into my name as a 2nd owner. I was told the V5 takes about 4 weeks to arrive.
    You can't do anything until you have the V5

I much prefer to do things online.
    I hope this answers all your questions, and by the way what car did you buy?
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Sorry forgot to update. I waiting for DLA to send out my car tax exemption form. Took the form with all the necessary documents and changed to disabled tax. Waited a few weeks for my refund in the post.
    Thanks for your help.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ivb View Post
    However, once the V5 reg document has been re-classified as 'disabled' it can be done online, but personally i never have success with that!
    The online system doesn't work with older exemption certificates in my experience. If you've had that exemption certificate more than 6 years or so, I'd contact DWP and ask for an exchange.

I've had no problems with my last two exemption certificates (one 6 years old and one issued last week).