Thread: esa and casual work

esa and casual work

I claim esa and make crafts which I would like to sell on a market stall. Am I able to do this, eg a few times a month or would it affect my benefit? Any advice appreciated, thanks.

page 49 work capability handbook

Permitted Work in ESA
    (i) The permitted work higher earnings limit (PWHL) will allow ESA claimants to work up to 16 hours per week for up to 52 weeks with earnings of up to 16 times the national minimum wage rate. This applies to both the contributory and non-contributory strands of the benefit. The permitted work lower limit allows a person to earn £20 a week without any limitation on the number of their hours or number of weeks (not limited to 52 weeks) and is intended to encourage social inclusion.

Thanks for all the helpful advice