Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Trike

Thumbs up Hand Trike

Finally got a hand trike-the Mission Handy Hand Cycle supplied by Bike Chain Glasgow.They delivered it to my door set it up and explained the controls.Seem to be a good company-so far.Will keep you updated on their after sales service but they seem reliable. If you're in the Greater Glasgow area they will definitely supply these machines.Other bike shops will not.

Replying to my own post-bad sign.Got one of the brake cables tangled-my fault.Guy from Bikechain came along,took the trike away and returned it a few hours later.No charge.Toying with the idea of adding an electric motor to it.It's great on the level and going down a slope.Going back up is really hard work so this should solve this problem.I reckon it would take me at least a year to build up the upper body strength to do that with ease.

oh jaicee58 sorry you had to reply to your own post and yes it's as bad as talking to yourself(first sign of madness lol ) anyway I'm glad you found you're hand trike I did reply to your first post when you was looking

Can't really discuss trikes with you as I'm clueless (about most things not just trikes) but I'm glad you got it sorted hope to chat to you again best wishes Acheron xx

Cheers.Out on it this morning at 7.Lot of fun.Still like the idea of a bit of electric power with it.May as well spend some of the DLA on that while I'm still getting it.Was looking at Dutch hand trikes.God!They're snazzier looking than mine.

It's getting easier on the trike.Developing some muscles after a month on it.Still fancy a bit of electric power.Pavements and side roads in Glasgow in an awful state.Pot-holes everywhere.I blame the government.Independence here we come.We 'll stop carrying you English at last. ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Well done Janice for getting a hand trike. I've seen some disabled people using them around a track and they thunder along. With me having only one arm working it's hard to use even on the flat. I use a low step-thru trike but the only way I can keep my feet on the pedals is to have them strapped on!

It does work but I'm fit for nothing afterwards. Here's a typical hand trike used at the club.

IMG_0699.jpg

Oh wow LT, looks amazing. Any photos's of you taking part

I was at the track today. Very sunny but not too windy. There seemed to be a massive turn out - 83 cyclists over a 4 hour time scale.

Here's a photo of me after the London Olympics holding an official olympic torch. That's Sue on left, Helen and Alison who is one of the volunteers.

The club caters for everyone as it's an all ability cycling club. You might call it an outdoor day centre as lots of special schools for children go and people with learning difficulties. I don't mind in the least bit because I get fresh air, exercise and plenty of volunteers to chat too. The track attracts mums with toddlers and is open to family members - basically everyone. It has a very welcoming atmosphere and I help out by doing their website, occasional posters and offer advice about funding and publicity.

IMG_0664.jpg

Since this photo was taken Sue sourced another trike for me on ebay - a German trike with gears. I need assistance to get on and off . And my feet are strapped onto special pedals otherwise my feet wouldn't stay put. I tend to cycle using one leg to push down and pull up. The other leg is just fixed on the pedal but it's a bit of fun and without the aid I couldn't even attempt to cycle - I've a lot to thank Sue for.

The club has the biggest range of accessible bikes in the country - over 170 in all. I'm very lucky as it's only a few miles away. And Andy you'd have no trouble using a hand trike.
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 03-07-13 at 21:31.

Great photo. I have a friend with MS and on her good days is able to walk very short distances with sticks, other than tht she uses her powerchair but funnily enough she could still ride a cycle if her fatigue allowed. It's all to do with muscle memory because she rode for 20 years before being diagnosed. Amazing how the body works !

Just found out that I can't add an electric motor to the hand trike.Would interfere with the gear system on the front wheel.So my advice to anyone thinking of buying one is - if you want to take the time and effort to build up your upper body strength ( or already have very good upper body strength ) then buy one.If you want to have a more immediate transport solution then pay the bigger bucks and get a trike with an electric motor or a good mobility scooter.For me it's great exercise but it'll take a bit longer to really get more mobile.Still great fun though and I'm looking forward to having a 6-pack(I'd settle for a 4-pack, though).