Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESA Suspend because of change of address.

Question ESA Suspend because of change of address.

Hi, i recently changed address and wasn't aware that i had to contact the DWP and inform them, so they suspend my claim. I rang up today and got my appointee to fill out a change of address form. They said they would phone me to tell me when i will next get payed. (Very low on cash right now unable to pay rent top up) But they didn't contact me at all. It now being friday i must wait untill Monday to see if they will tell me. Does anyone have any idea how long it would take them to un suspend my claim?

Sorry if the format of my question is a bit off. Very new to this site. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffLady View Post
    Have you sent off the letter yet?

They may wait until the actual letter arrives. The phone call will possibly be to say that? Not sure though. From past experience once they do sort it, it's within about 48 hours it arrives in your account. They messed mine up last year. Once they did sort it, I had a phone call on the Wednesday and the money was in my account Friday. Fingers crossed they will do the same once they receive written confirmation of your new address.
    I was able to do the form over the phone it seem's. Tho i guess i should phone back up and check. Finger's crossed ill have the money soon.

Hi Urcle.
    I did all mine over the phone when I moved. I had to telephone the different departments and inform them all. I did not have to write and tell them. It does say on benefit award letters that you need to inform them of any change of circumstances. Moving home is quite a big change, they need to know about change of address, otherwise you would not recieve any letters/forms from them. I would suggest also phoning your landlord to let them know that you are having a bit of difficulty paying the rent top-up. If you let them know straightaway, they will hopefully not start sending out arrears letters. It is sometimes really hard to stay on top of things and keep all relevant people informed of your circumstances. I hope you get things sorted and your benefit is re-instated as soon as possible.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

i did all my change of address over the phone with no problems, but the above needs to be a warning to others out there to make sure to all ways contact the dwp to update their details or problems like this will happen.

with the dwp making so many mistakes i am going to keep an eagle eye on things for when my first payment of esa is due, feel so weird been fortnightly again, going back to the old days when it was then known as DSS.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeydt1 View Post
    i did all my change of address over the phone with no problems, but the above needs to be a warning to others out there to make sure to all ways contact the dwp to update their details or problems like this will happen.

with the dwp making so many mistakes i am going to keep an eagle eye on things for when my first payment of esa is due, feel so weird been fortnightly again, going back to the old days when it was then known as DSS.
    Well it wont be weird for long...When Universal Credit comes in it will be the whole amount (benefit Housing Benefit Inc.) in one payment monthly. Not Good!

Yes, but as i understand it, Universal Credit only intends to replace Income Related Benefit. Contribution Based and non-Income Related benefits like DLA/PIP and Industrial Injuries DB will remain in separate payment.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    Hi Urcle.
    I did all mine over the phone when I moved. I had to telephone the different departments and inform them all. I did not have to write and tell them. It does say on benefit award letters that you need to inform them of any change of circumstances. Moving home is quite a big change, they need to know about change of address, otherwise you would not recieve any letters/forms from them. I would suggest also phoning your landlord to let them know that you are having a bit of difficulty paying the rent top-up. If you let them know straightaway, they will hopefully not start sending out arrears letters. It is sometimes really hard to stay on top of things and keep all relevant people informed of your circumstances. I hope you get things sorted and your benefit is re-instated as soon as possible.
    Hay, does that mean i need to phone up about my DLA as well? And i just hope i get's here before Wednesday and i should be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffLady View Post
    Hi Urcle, most definitely let DLA know, as they are all linked. Yesterday I received a letter from ESA to update the fact that I also receive DLA. A most confusing letter as on page 4 it showed Work Group stating I now have DLA. Though when I rang them, they did confirm I was still in receipt of Support as well as the DLA - it was a standard letter to show both ESA and DLA together.
    Will they suspend my DLA while i update the address tho? Because if my DLA and ESA were both stopped for a while have no idea what id do.

confused if you didnt tell them about change How could/did they know to suspend esa because of it

My son did exactly the same had no money for weeks,luckily he had help from family.