Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo V70 - Collected today - first thoughts.

Volvo V70 - Collected today - first thoughts.

Hi

Some of you may remember the problems I had with Nissan and the Qashqai.........basically they sold it me as a "push button" start and they did not have the exact model "Tekna" for me to test drive at time of order - but was assured that it was a push button start.

Car arrives.........and its not, its like a small disc you have to grab and turn - extremely difficult for me, so I contacted Motability who agreed that I could swap the car. They recommended a number of cars that were push button starts - I decided on the V70 - Ordered 14th Feb 2013 - received yesterday.

Now I have only drove it from dealers to home (20 miles) but here are my first impressions - WOW !!

The car is silent compared to the Qashqai (even though this is a Diesel and the Qashqai was a petrol) - on roads and motorways - obviously a LOT better put together and sound proofed - the difference in night and day - the radio for example does not have to be cranked up at all when travelling at speed.

The tailgate is electronically operated - it goes up automatically from the fob - or from a switch inside the car - and down automatically with the use of a button on the tailgate itself - great for people with limited arm movement.

Acres of space in the rear (well it is an estate) - and there is a lockable recess under the boot floor to store sat navs etc.

The leather seating would not be out of place on a high end 3 Piece Suite - compared to the cheap leather of the Qashqai its sumptuous !!

The seats are also the most comfy I have ever had in any car I have ever owned (I had a Lexus rx450 a couple of years ago - these are comfier).

Loads of leg space for all passengers front and back.

The entertainment system is absolute class - though missing the camera and sat nav of the Nissan (which were very very basic ) -it just oozes quality - the bluetooth pairing was effortless and it easily streams internet radio stations from your phone/mobile device.

No DAB radio - this surprised me to be honest.

Electric folding mirrors which automatically close when you lock/unlock the car.

I DO miss the "glass roof" of the Qashqai - but thats the only thing to be honest. It was great for sticking a tablet holder to keep the kids entertained in the back.

Now the BIG difference - when I first got the Qashqai - the onboard trip computer said I would get approx 220 miles (£80 fill up) out of a full tank with my type of driving - and it was pretty accurate. Now obviously I have not covered much mileage but my driving tends to be constant - I filled up the Volvo yesterday (£90 fill up) and the trip computer says 630 miles - obviously this is adjusting all the time the more I drive - but instantaneous mpg seems to be around 39mpg - which wipes the floor with the 18-20 I got with the Nissan - time will tell what a full tank will yield - but I will update this thread.

Overall - VERY IMPRESSED !! :-)

Dave

I'm so glad that you finally got a car that best suited you Dave, really good write-up too but it's just a shame that the V70 has gone from the scheme so others can't enjoy too.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Deleted
    Excellent review Dave , enjoy your quality motor

Hi

It may come back onto the scheme - that is why I posted the review.

I would recommend without hesitation this vehicle - I used to have an Insignia Estate (which I loved) but this is heads and shoulders better than that vehicle.

The advance payment was pretty steep at £1900 pounds - but the Nissan dealership gave me a great part ex price for my privately owned Insignia when I traded it for the Qashqai.

The only problem I had was that I had to pay the advance payment again - despite only having the car for 6 months - then Motability will refund the advance payment from the Qashqai to myself (or whats left of it - pro rata) - I guess this is because its the dealership that gets the advance payment and not Motability.

Fingers crossed that the AP from the Qashqai does not take too long to come back to me...............

Dave

Hi

Couple of observations.........

First the V70 does not have a handbrake in the conventional sense......it has a parking brake on the right hand side of the steering wheel on the dash, you pull it towards you to release it and push it in to turn it on - gonna take some getting used to.

Secondly - every other automatic I have owned - when you stopped on a hill it would stay there until you accelerated away - but this morning whilst on a small hill I began to roll back - took me completely by surprise !

The automatic gearbox is head and shoulders above the Nissan one - its completely silent and effortless and gear changes are barely noticed - with the Qashqai you had to release the accelerator slightly to initiate a gear change - if you didn't the revs would just run away..........

Dave

Volvo owners tend to go back for another one when they're done with the previous one... now you know why.

I've owned a couple in the past, but needs changed, can't see past a Citroen C5 any more
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Quote Originally Posted by whiteswan123 View Post
    Secondly - every other automatic I have owned - when you stopped on a hill it would stay there until you accelerated away - but this morning whilst on a small hill I began to roll back - took me completely by surprise !
    It's an old model (by today's standards), it's been around in this guise since 2007 but really hasn't changed that much since the year 2000. Although for the price of thing I too would expect hill-hold control.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I'd ask the dealers about the rolling back. The Volvos I've known don't. Also the radio isn't DAB because only the UK has really adopted that format and Volvo probably don't feel it's worth the extra for a relatively small market.

I was given a V70 D5 as a courtesy car when somebody reversed into my Zafira and it opened my eyes to the brand. I thought it was a stunning car but a bit low for me for everyday use so I went with the XC60 for a couple of years. There is a real premium feel to the brand which you don't really appreciate until you have tried one.

Well done with the review - pretty much spot on from my test drive and observations. I would say that this car is not a direct competitor for the Nissan, bit of an unfair fight really. It was top of my list until the wife said she preferred a car that sat higher. So we have ordered the Kia Sportage and pick it up in 4 weeks.

Happy motoring - green with envy here!