Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax

Hi

I need advice, my brother is in receipt of ESA (in a support Group) DLA (middle rate care) with lower rate mobility component, he has been asked to contribute £17.10 a week to his rent, is this correct? I thought people in receipt of DLA were exempt from bedroom tax.

Very grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by mary916 View Post
    Hi

I need advice, my brother is in receipt of ESA (in a support Group) DLA (middle rate care) with lower rate mobility component, he has been asked to contribute £17.10 a week to his rent, is this correct? I thought people in receipt of DLA were exempt from bedroom tax.

Many thanks
    Now council tax is sorted out by local councils each has there own way of setting benefits, and deciding what counts as income and what does not he should get expert advise and ask for help from council paying it

Quote Originally Posted by mary916 View Post
    Hi

Many thanks
    There are exemptions for disabled children but not adults.
    There is the DHP ( Discretionary Housing Payment) but this is a short term measure and subject to LA budgets.

My daughter has to pay the added C/T and her care componant of the DLA was taken into the monies coming in.
    I spoke to the welfare rights who told me as it is dealt with differently to H/B it wil be taken into account.
    Sea Queen

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    There are exemptions for disabled children but not adults.
    There is the DHP ( Discretionary Housing Payment) but this is a short term measure and subject to LA budgets.
    can you post more info about exemption for disabled children please, I had a very rude lady phone me up and tell me I could easily afford to pay as my son,s DLA is a "substantial amount"(her words not mine) of money

http://www.mencap.org.uk/news/articl...pt-bedroom-tax

Try this link deebee. Gives the genral outline for the amended rule.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    http://www.mencap.org.uk/news/articl...pt-bedroom-tax

Try this link deebee. Gives the genral outline for the amended rule.
    thank you babyblue64

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    can you post more info about exemption for disabled children please, I had a very rude lady phone me up and tell me I could easily afford to pay as my son,s DLA is a "substantial amount"(her words not mine) of money
    This really is a lottery. The Govt changed it's mind and brought in these exemptions. At the same time SOME LA's decided to take DLA into account as income when before they wasn't allowed to.
    I'm not sure where the decision came from to allow LAs to do this and why some do and some don't.
    So you have a system whereby disabled children have been exempted but the LA can take DLA into account as income and therein possibly reduce your HB.

I have heard this wobble. It is ridiculous. Another postcode lottery it would seem.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

DLA, isn't income, its exempt from taxation so why are LA able to take this payment into account as income. Sounds like a judicial review is needed here?