Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suffering In Silence......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member ***Force_Majeure_007***'s Avatar

Suffering In Silence......

While watching 'Da Vinci Code - The True story' on channel 5 tonight they said the Da Vinci was most probably Dyslexic, then the narrator said "Dyslexia is an inherited form of learning disability!"

Why does Britain call dyslexia a learning difficulty??? If a person has severe dyslexia and is unable to read or write at all then they have to implicitly trust other people to fill in forms, the trouble with this, is that other people very rarely write things down in the same way that you explain things to them, they often misrepresent what you say and twist your words. Then when they read it back to you, you have to trust what they say and once you sign the form, then you are agreeing with what has been written on your behalf and it is 'taken as gospel'. When you do ask them to change what they have written, they often don't want to change what they have written and this causes the dyslexic person to become frustrated then the person filling in the form will say that the dyslexic person is getting angry, and the person filling in the form can even say, I don't have to do this, and they use this as an excuse and walk off....all because you are asking them to put it right!!!

In addition you have no privacy when you can't read or write at all, because you have to ask others (usually a neighbour) to read your mail and write letters for you, then they get to know all your business.......

I know there must be some people on here that have mild dyslexia, but at least if you can read and write, even to a poor standard then at least you can access computers, the Internet and information. When you can't read or write at all, then you can't access these to put your voice out there to explain the enormity of severe dyslexia and what a cognitive impairment this really is, and lets face it 70% of communication in a day is in written form, and when this vital resource is cut off because of mild and severe dyslexia, then it really is a disability and not 'just a difficulty'.

It is these people that are suffering in silence because they get taken advantage of, so easily because others know ALL their business and can hold things over them and they cannot access the info on forums like this one and get the support that they need.

Why does America widely acknowledge that all Dyslexia is an inherited form of learning disability both mild and severe and Britain does not recognise this as a fact?????

FM
    Last edited by ***Force_Majeure_007***; 23-05-13 at 21:33.
    Expect the worst and hope for the best!!!

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Force_Majeure_007*** View Post
    Why does America widely acknowledge that all Dyslexia is an inherited form of learning disability both mild and severe and Britain does not recognise this as a fact?????

FM
    its not a fact there are 2 types
    the yanks dont there is also acquired dyslexia, as well as "Dyslexia" as a brain-based type of learning disability that specifically impairs a person's ability to read

Power to you for highlighting this subject. As you rightly say, they suffer in silence. In my experience many able readers/writers have little patience with people who are unable to read/write very well, and I would love to see attitudes change.

I would glady persevere reading the writings of a dyslexic or otherwise writing impaired rather than give TEXT SPEAK one glance.

My daughter goes mad with me because I will not acknowledge messages from her by text .. no matter how urgent .. if they are written in such gogglydegook.

Hey CF. I just wondered why yourself and others had a piccy and not me - doh, figured it out now. lol

Hear hear TT, this is one of my pet hates too. We have a very comprehensive English vocabulary, which some people find difficult enough to learn, without the invention of this nonsense. c u l8r ..... this is about the only one I understand. Actually I hate texts per se, speaking to someone, hearing their voice has much more impact.

my friends 2 sons both have dyslexia the youngest of the two is at college and gets support but she was telling me only the other day that the funding to be statemented is going to stop and it will cost around five hundred pounds for parents to have their children statemented in the future her eldest has it really bad even numbers and he was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes it's so hard for him to control his sugar because he can't grasp the insulin pen numbers correctly or see his blood levels correctly his dyslexia has been so disabiling to him he can strip a car engine down put back together and fix anything you give him but because his school grade were so low nobody ever gives him a chance he's great always doing odd jobs for people me included fixin cars ,decorating ect

Acheron,

Dyslexic style problems with numbers is called Dyscalculia, as in calculating and recognising numbers has your friend's son been tested for this too???

Parents to pay £500 to have their child statemented, this is just another step towards total privatisation of our health service. I would guess from what is shown on British TV with regards to the American health service that health insurance would cover this type of expense.

However, say you wanted to use your statement when you turn 16, in your application for ESA etc; it is hard enough to get services like ATOS to accept medical reports now, can you imagine what ATOS would say when you give them a medical report that you paid for. They'd say 'of course it says what you wanted it to say, as you paid for it'. At the moment medical reports written by NHS staff whether Dr or CPN or Psychologist etc are written with the patient in mind and are unbiased and not for financial reasons where it could be said that the report is biased in the patients favour.

Even now, when you ask a Dr to write a supporting letter, they always start the letter with something like this "I have been asked to write this on behalf of my patient." Straight away the service ie ATOS assume that the Dr is only writing this because you have asked him/her to do so and are paying him/her to write this for you and not because the Dr supports your medical condition, but Dr's won't write a supporting letter unless they have facts to back it up.....Now if we have to start paying for more services that are currently paid for by NHS or Education Dept. then these will also be dismissed as having little or no value.....

ATOS Dr's have the same training as our own Dr's and yet ATOS Dr's can question your Dr's reports and letters but your own Dr can't question the ATOS Dr........It seem just because ATOS Dr's are commissioned by the government that they carry more clout and get a bigger say.

FM

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by ***Force_Majeure_007*** View Post
    Acheron,

ATOS Dr's have the same training as our own Dr's and yet ATOS Dr's can question your Dr's reports and letters but your own Dr can't question the ATOS Dr........It seem just because ATOS Dr's are commissioned by the government that they carry more clout and get a bigger say.

FM
    If it was my money then I would want more say who gets it, DWP have always seen our Dr as biased towards us that's why atos started, that said many gps got flack and reported when they wrote reports that stopped people getting benefits, thus GPs are happy to be out of the loop ......... think its on the bma site that it says many gps where reported by what they saw as vexiouts claims based on people not getting benefits

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    If it was my money then I would want more say who gets it, DWP have always seen our Dr as biased towards us that's why atos started, that said many gps got flack and reported when they wrote reports that stopped people getting benefits, thus GPs are happy to be out of the loop ......... think its on the bma site that it says many gps where reported by what they saw as vexiouts claims based on people not getting benefits
    ATOS wasn't started just because our Dr's were/are seen as biased towards patients, but because as you said "many gps got flack and reported when they wrote reports that stopped people getting benefits," so now the government have got their own Dr's; ATOS Dr's. Which you 'can't give flack to and report' ,so they've closed the leverage loophole, that we had recourse to, in our fight for our rights to benefits; as it was easier in the past to challenge a report, written by your own Dr, than it currently is to challenge an ATOS Dr......

Thank God that we still have the appeals and tribunal system.....

FM