Thread: ESA Decision and ATOS Medical

ESA Decision and ATOS Medical

Hello
    Went fro my medical nearly 2 weeks ago and now waiting for a decision - very stressful time. I know the DM makes the final decision on a claim but how much influence does the nurse/doctor conducting the medical have - do they advice on a decision and does the DM take this advice when making the decision. I am very worried because the DM is probably not medically qualified and I have read about so many cases/decisions which seem unfair. The thought of an appeal worries me even more. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You did NOT have a "medical", what you attended was a Work Capability Assessment (WCA) and is for 'advice' which the DWP may or may not use in reaching their decision on you're case. Hope that helps

H sarah777 sorry I can't advise waiting to hear if I gotta have a face to face myself and totally dreading it as I've like you have read countless horror stories and the thought of appeals courts judges ect makes me feel like some sort of criminal for being ill I hope you got some supporting evidence from your GP ect I don't trust the atos HCP now after reading some of the stories on the internet but as always most people only tell their stories when its bad so maybe their plenty of good out comes what we don't hear of wishing you a good out come Acheron

Hello acheron, please don't feel like that about any appeal (hearing) you may have to make, from my past experience if your condition and/or difficulties is visible they will do all they can to make you comfortable and help you make your case. They maybe Courts but they are informal Courts and very much so, hope this helps you feel a bit better.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    H sarah777 sorry I can't advise waiting to hear if I gotta have a face to face myself and totally dreading it as I've like you have read countless horror stories and the thought of appeals courts judges ect makes me feel like some sort of criminal for being ill I hope you got some supporting evidence from your GP ect I don't trust the atos HCP now after reading some of the stories on the internet but as always most people only tell their stories when its bad so maybe their plenty of good out comes what we don't hear of wishing you a good out come Acheron
    your right only them that dont get complain, even under IDS support Group has gone from 10% to 30% the numbers getting wrag gone up too, and the important number people winning at appeals is down which means they are starting to get things right.

Lots of people get sick go on ESA get an award get better go back to work and must wonder what all the fuss is about.

AS the process of moving people from IB and IS comes to and end there will be a group of people who DWP will not be able to make happy, they will be found fit for work or not get the support group and will spend years fighting. IMO this is no differance to the people who spent years fighting GPs as when it was down to gps

They where seen by GPs as being vexious and just complaing because the money was stopped and not because they really had a case.

That said in the last 12 months of reading many posts on many forums I think I have only seen 2 posts where I could not see a case for esa of some type and last year only one that IMO did not seem to merit an award ..... and that could have been down to a bad post

but they will be out there

Thanks Jard and Dave and sorry sarah seem to have hijacked your post it wasn't intentional my condition is not visible other than badly scarred abdomen stoma and struggle with mobilty due to inflammation of joints and muscles and lack of nutrition I do however look like the grim reapers long lost sister due to malnutrition LOL but I get very anxious and scared about new doctors seeing me like many on this site seen shed loads of them and some are not good or even nice so atos HCPs is a frightening thought to me

Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    your right only them that dont get complain, even under IDS support Group has gone from 10% to 30% the numbers getting wrag gone up too, and the important number people winning at appeals is down which means they are starting to get things right.
    ...or the appeals service are also getting it wrong...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    so when numbers where low from dwp and many got award on appeals they where doing it right, but now more are getting an award from dwp both wrag group and a great number 20% more support................appeals have started getting it wrong, could it not be both are now right and appeals are only getting through the weak cases ?

dont think appeals will have gone down hill that much. some people are just going to have to live with the fact they are not ill enough or disabled enough or need to do a much better job of putting a case to the dwp or the tribunal.