Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Choosing a Car

Help Choosing a Car

I wonder if you could all help me try to whittle down the amount of cars to just a few for test driving.

My partner is on HR DLA. She does not drive.

She has lower body pain along with arthritis. (back, knees, hips)
    Tendonitis of the shoulder.
    Nerve damage in arms and hands.
    Labyrinthitis so finds it hard to look up as the outside makes her eyes blur.

At the moment we have a Mazda 323f. Lovely car but a bit low to the ground.
    Would want a higher seating position, decent leg room, possible tints on front side windows and something to absorb the bumps and pot holes on the road.

I think that the seating position and ride comfort are more important than anything else

It has to be a vehicle that would take 4 adults, have 5 doors and a large-ish boot. Does not need to have space for a wheelchair.

Daughter needs to be able to drive it (17yo), and still learning to drive.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

You should be aware that by law, front windows must let in 75% of light, so any tints on the front windows (not windscreen) will have limited benefit.
    As for absorbing bumps, there really isn't anything to compare with the Citroen C5 (except its big sister, the C6). I have owned mine for the past 3 years, the computer-controlled hydraulic suspension system was the sole reason for me choosing it. As someone who suffers neck and back injuries, i can't see me owning anything else.

I couldn't vouch for its availability on the mobility scheme though...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there,
    I was going to suggest the Nissan Qashqai - I've had one for nearly 3 years & it has been a great car with higher seating position and a fabulously comfortable car. I have chronic RA myself.
    However, I've just checked & it doesn't look like anyone under 25 can drive that model.

Just had a look at SUV/4x4's available for under 25 drivers and the only options I have any experience of are the Kia Sportage & the Hyundai i35 - both have AP's though. Both great cars though, higher seating position and comfy to sit in.

There must be other cars outwith the SUV/4x4 category which have an elevated driving position but these are the 3 cars I have personal exp of.

Hope you find something suitable :-)

(posted in bits due to over-sensitive spam filters)

You should be aware that front windows must allow 75% of light to pass through, so tinted front windows are of limited effect.

was gonna tell you about the benefits of the Citroen C5, but i'm about to give up

I’ve owned mine for 3 years now, and as a sufferer of back and neck injuries, can’t see me choosing anything else. It also has the ability to raise or lower the suspension at the touch of a button, which I find particularly useful for getting in and out on some of my worst days.

One of my mates, after his first run in it called it a hovercraft

Just need a bit more info...
    1. How many miles a year will you be driving?
    2. What's the maximum Advance Payment you can afford?
    3. Where will the driving take place - mostly in town or on dual carriageways etc?

Off the top of my head, and not knowing all the requirements, I would suggest: Nissan Qashqai (they are available for under 25s), Citroen C4, VW Golf and the Peugeot 3008, there will be more but i'll await your answers to the above first.

Paul
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Thanks for the answers.

@googlybear.
    Didn't know that about the windows, and I couldn't find the C5.

@shopaholic.
    Can't find the Qashqai

@Paul.
    1)not many. Approx 6000.
    2)Under £1000.
    3)75% town, 25% other.

edit. Found the Qashqai
    Last edited by railfrog; 20-05-13 at 22:42.

Qashqai seems to be top of the pops with the wonky.
    Rear leg room isn't great and overall interior height not good for the lanky either. With car full, uphill it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but apart from that it's good.

The Qashqai definitely errs towards the comfort side rather than handling and with the mileage you do I'd be looking at a ?*? but the Qashqai doesn't seem to be available for under 25s.

I was going to say you'd be better with a Petrol due to the total miles per year, but the kind of driving you do leans me towards a diesel. I think with needing to carry 4 adults then a diesel's torque will be better.

There are a couple of smaller crossovers due out soon which might fit your bill better than the larger ones (due to your daughters age).
    Take a look at these:
    Peugeot 2008 (out in July),
    Renault Captur (out in Summer),
    Vauxhall Mokka from £999,
    Nissan Juke from £99,
    Skoda Yeti from £95, and the
    MINI Countryman from £999

And these Mini MPVs
    Ford BMax from £95
    Nissan Note from £0 (due to be replaced in Sept 2013 with a new model)
    Honda Jazz from £0

I'll have a think more later, got to go now.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs