Thread: ESA50 and Joint Claim Help Please

ESA50 and Joint Claim Help Please

Hello.

I'm currently in the process of transferring from IS to ESA. My husband and I have a joint claim as he is my full-time carer and cannot work because of this. We're on IS due to my being disabled and not being able to work. On the IS form, there was a part to put about your partner.

However on this ESA form, it's just asking about me so how do we go about a joint claim as my husband would need to be on it too? And would there be a Carers Premium with the ESA as he also claims CA?

I hope that makes sense. I'm incredibly anxious and stressed about it all.

Thank you.

But as we are a couple, wouldn't it be against the law to not have him on the claim?

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by gothicmidnightrose View Post
    Hello.

I'm currently in the process of transferring from IS to ESA. My husband and I have a joint claim as he is my full-time carer and cannot work because of this. We're on IS due to my being disabled and not being able to work. On the IS form, there was a part to put about your partner.

However on this ESA form, it's just asking about me so how do we go about a joint claim as my husband would need to be on it too? And would there be a Carers Premium with the ESA as he also claims CA?

I hope that makes sense. I'm incredibly anxious and stressed about it all.

Thank you.
    esa claim is for you if you get awarded esa i think you can then claim an allowance for your partner/ carer

that said once on esa I think he can be called for interview because of your esa claim........ not sure seek expert advise if worried about the transfer to esa

I don't think I'm being understood.

My husband and I have a joint claim for IS. We get the couple rate as well as some premiums for me being on DLA. When I transfer to ESA, it will be a joint claim. My husband will be on the claim. We should get the couple rate of ESA. I just wanted to know why there wasn't a section for a partner's details when ESA can be claimed jointly.

davewhit
    I don't think I'm being understood.

My husband and I have a joint claim for IS. We get the couple rate as well as some premiums for me being on DLA. When I transfer to ESA, it will be a joint claim. My husband will be on the claim. We should get the couple rate of ESA. I just wanted to know why there wasn't a section for a partner's details when ESA can be claimed jointly.
    Because the form you are filling in is about your health, ESA50 is a medical form about you.

Indeed, your ESA is a personal benefit about YOUR disability and nobody elses, regardless of any additions that may be added on to it regarding family, carers etc.

Sorry, I'm just used to the forms having a bit for a partner, that is all. I worry about losing money since we struggle for money as it is. I wasn't sure if the DWP would see that we are indeed a couple or if it would be more complicated and I would have to fill in yet another form.

I am sorry if I sounded stupid to you but I am not used to this way of doing things.

davewhit
    Sorry, I'm just used to the forms having a bit for a partner, that is all. I worry about losing money since we struggle for money as it is. I wasn't sure if the DWP would see that we are indeed a couple or if it would be more complicated and I would have to fill in yet another form.

I am sorry if I sounded stupid to you but I am not used to this way of doing things.
    Till you get awarded ESA your claim is done as is now, if and only if you pass esa then you can have your husband added if you pass esa, they will look at your IS claim see what money you get and what extras they will then look to see if esa is worth MORE if it is your claim will go up, if not you will get paid what you get now, NO one at point of transfer should be any less off. but as I said when you do go onto esa your husband might have to go for the odd interview, where they will ask him his plans for work should you get better

When filling in the form be sure to write in 'other information' at the back of the form, how your hubby helps you and does things for you as asked about throughout the form. Get plenty of supporting evidence ask GP for a letter and best of all - get some professional advice from Cab or other organisation. best of luck