Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: DLA vs other benefits like child tax credit and income support

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    12

    Question DLA vs other benefits like child tax credit and income support

    We are hoping to adopt and have to show the agency our plans for the future should the degenerative neurological condition my husband has makes him incapable of working. I have to base it on the worst case scenario which would be him unable to work with me as his carer and us having one child below the age of 18. I can see the current highest DLA is £79.50 a week and the highest carers allowance is £59.75 a week but that would give us only £603 per calendar month to live off as a family of three. Our mortgage alone is £470 never mind paying gas/electric/poll tax & food etc.

    If a person claims DLA (or PIP when it becomes that) are they also allowed to claim child tax credit and income support and poll tax assistance etc or are people better not to claim DLA at all and just claim based on the household having two jobless parents with one child?

  2. #2
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thepandagirl View Post
    We are hoping to adopt and have to show the agency our plans for the future should the degenerative neurological condition my husband has makes him incapable of working. I have to base it on the worst case scenario which would be him unable to work with me as his carer and us having one child below the age of 18. I can see the current highest DLA is £79.50 a week and the highest carers allowance is £59.75 a week but that would give us only £603 per calendar month to live off as a family of three. Our mortgage alone is £470 never mind paying gas/electric/poll tax & food etc.

    If a person claims DLA (or PIP when it becomes that) are they also allowed to claim child tax credit and income support and poll tax assistance etc or are people better not to claim DLA at all and just claim based on the household having two jobless parents with one child?
    you need expert advise, you have missed ESA off your income........... also tax credits payment for children can be different depending on money paid by social services towards childs up keep if adopted sometimes child benefit is not paid too.

    Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits may be payable as long as payments of Adoption Allowance do not include monies paid under Section 23 of The Children’s Act, towards the maintenance and accommodation costs. its very complicated

    i know a couple who did this 2 years ago took 12 months to sort out support CB and tax credits not paid for ages

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,803
    I don't know what adoption agency you are with LA or independent, or if it is national adoption or international.
    Generally though your assessment will be based on your current situation. No adoption will be assessed on a possible benefits calculation and no child should be adopted on that basis.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    12

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by davewhit View Post
    you need expert advise, you have missed ESA off your income........... also tax credits payment for children can be different depending on money paid by social services towards childs up keep if adopted sometimes child benefit is not paid too.

    Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits may be payable as long as payments of Adoption Allowance do not include monies paid under Section 23 of The Children’s Act, towards the maintenance and accommodation costs. its very complicated

    i know a couple who did this 2 years ago took 12 months to sort out support CB and tax credits not paid for ages
    Thank you. I have tried contacting "turn2us" but since this whole situation is hypothetical at present (except for the facts of us trying to adopt and my hubby having a degenerative neurological condition) they cannot give me any information. I think the best I can do at present is look on the "entitled to" site and input data is if hubby was getting max DLA and I was getting max carers allowance and use these figures for the social workers as a "current guesstimate". However, if it ever does come to it that hubby loses his job due to his disability is there a "best place" to go to to get the expert advice we would need?

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I don't know what adoption agency you are with LA or independent, or if it is national adoption or international.
    Generally though your assessment will be based on your current situation. No adoption will be assessed on a possible benefits calculation and no child should be adopted on that basis.
    We are with an LA. We have already had to show them how we will financially manage with one child and they needed a benefits calculation for that since that is where my part of our family income will be coming from. They have told us that if it turns out that hubby's prognosis is for eg that he might end up in a wheelchair (which is the case though the timescale of it getting to that stage is an unknown) we need to show now that we have thought about the implications of that as to how we would then manage both practically (for eg getting a stair lift fitted) as well as financially. It is their responsibility to make sure as much as is humanly possible that if they place a child with a couple that the child is going to be able to stay with the couple until it reaches adulthood and so they need to make sure (as sure as they can) that it's needs are going to be met and of course that means us showing that we can keep a roof over all of our heads and our bills paid. They therefore require us to provide the kind of information I have been asking about in my posting here.

    I spoke to AdoptionUK helpline and they said an agency's primary concern where disability is noted is that a) the parents should not have reduced life expectancy due to the disability ie the child needs to be raised into adulthood and b) the child is not to become the "carer" in any way shape or form so those seem to be the "official line" main requirements but the agency does also have an obligation to look at how the child is to be financed.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,803
    I do have knowledge of adoption requirements and criteria, and differences in adoption teams and the "individuals" in those teams.
    IMHO you have some "individuals". I have never heard of prospective adopters being asked to produce a financial statement showing they could manage to live on state benfits alone.
    First and foremost, life on benefits is what it is, hard to impossible and there is no way to calculate what you may or may not get as there are too many variables. Under new regs you would be capped at £500 pw max.
    I'm not questioning your version of events, I am questioning their criteria, not something I've come across before, but then again not the strangest.
    I wish you luck in getting the info they require and moreover with your application.

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    I do have knowledge of adoption requirements and criteria, and differences in adoption teams and the "individuals" in those teams.
    IMHO you have some "individuals". I have never heard of prospective adopters being asked to produce a financial statement showing they could manage to live on state benfits alone.
    First and foremost, life on benefits is what it is, hard to impossible and there is no way to calculate what you may or may not get as there are too many variables. Under new regs you would be capped at £500 pw max.
    I'm not questioning your version of events, I am questioning their criteria, not something I've come across before, but then again not the strangest.
    I wish you luck in getting the info they require and moreover with your application.
    All I know is that they seem to need to make sure that having a child would not take us to financial ruin. I have no idea if they would accept a couple saying "well neither of us plan to work and we intend to all live on benefits" as if there is no reason why at least one of the couple refuses to work that would raise other issues outside of just the financial ones. It seems most agencies like at least one of the couple to be home with the child for the first year if possible but we have already been asked about our intentions once the child is at school with regards to the one of us who has stayed home for that child going back to work and we have already said that dependent upon the needs of the child we (hopefully) get the one of us that is not working would seek a job which could be done in school hours as they know that benefits are a bare minimum way of living. I am aware of the £500 pw cap and I have no idea how anyone ever gets enough criteria to get anywhere near qualifying for £500 pw unless it is due to having many multiples of children, we certainly would not get anywhere near to that.

    Our full intent is for hubby to work for the next 20 years and me to be at home with the child (or children if we adopt again) until they are school age and then me to start some kind of work again then too. However, since hubby is now notified that he has a degenerative neurological condition we can only hope that he is well enough to work the next 20 years but have to have plans in place just in case his condition prevents him from doing that. The first plan at that point would be me working full time again whilst he took care of the child/children providing the level of his disability would allow for that. The second plan which would be the worst case scenario (and the one that if we can show the agency we could still manage then anything better than that would be OK) is that he becomes completely dependent upon me and so neither of us are working as I am his 24/7 carer and he is unable to work and we have the one child at which point we would only have the benefits system to draw upon (unless there is some option for us to get him a 24/7 carer from the system in which case I could do a full time job. All I can do is work out as best as I can as if the worst case scenario was how it is now and present that data to them if they require it. There are too many future variables to be able to present it with complete accuracy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,803
    I'm sure you are aware of the publicity surrounding the "criteria" adoption agencies use in assessing prospective adopters, at times in borders on the bizarre.
    For me the only issue would be a medical prognosis of hubby's condition. Whether he is capable at this moment and if so, is this likely to change in the very near future. When you mention a figure of 20 years I get the impression that this is based on the most recent prognosis, and taking into account it is unlikely to decline rapidly overnight.
    Personally, I would "advise" the team that you are unable to calculate a financial statement of benefits due to too may unknown variables, I doubt seriously that this will damage your application.

    £500 pw includes ALL benefits but the main one being HB as rent accounts for such a big part of benefit. You have a mortgage but any help with that through benefit would be calculated in.
    I couldn't comment on your adoption team but sadly far too many have individuals who like to play Judge and Jury a little too much.
    Good luck with your application and the future in general.

  9. #9
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    12
    Thank you Wobble1. Once we have the official letter from the neurologist I will be asking our SW exactly what she requires from us to show that we have "considered" as many of our future potential scenarios as possible.

  10. #10
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thepandagirl View Post
    Thank you Wobble1. Once we have the official letter from the neurologist I will be asking our SW exactly what she requires from us to show that we have "considered" as many of our future potential scenarios as possible.
    its not really something that can be looked at, they could have a couple on very high income own house mortgage paid off, next thing you know stress causes a drink problem or car crash .............looking at these sorts of scenarios, is so false a couple having there own kids dont know if they will be come ill, hit the bottle or get hit by a truck on the way to work. These things just happen. and you deal with them best you can as long as people carry on trying there best thats all you can do.

Similar Threads

  1. Pip will it make any difference to child tax credit??
    By bipolarhelp in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-10-14, 16:33
  2. Information to support those caring for a child with a Learning Disability
    By LouiseEdinburghUni in forum Surveys, research requests and TV programmes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-14, 09:38
  3. child tax credit disability
    By mich67 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-13, 14:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •