Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Esa50 question 8 - getting around safely

  1. #1

    Esa50 question 8 - getting around safely

    Hello everyone

    I hope you are all as well as possible.

    I have a question about "getting around safely" I feel the answer I put may contradict something, so if I may I will run my query past you all.

    I have just started to have driving lessons (with hand controls) for a number of reasons which included, husband leaving me, living in an isolated place, ILF funding finishes in 2015 for starters.

    My eyesight is obviously good enough to drive although I wear varifocals and because my eyesight is so bad (my mother contracted rubella while carrying me) I have had to have YAG laser treatment as I had the first signs of Glaucoma, I also have "poor accomodation" which means it takes me longer to focus on things than most people for example if someone shows me a photograph and then takes it away I won't have seen anything on it. While I am out and about in my wheelchair my most dangerous thing is steps and curbs especially if they are the same colour as the road, I have fallen out of my wheelchair in the past because of this, but my question is "If I put these problems down will I lose my driving license even before I get it" ? I am ok driving its just the curbs and steps I have problems with ? Shall I miss it out about my eyesight ?

    Please don't think I am trying to con the system its all true what I say

    many thanks for reading

  2. #2
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    Hello everyone

    I hope you are all as well as possible.

    I have a question about "getting around safely" I feel the answer I put may contradict something, so if I may I will run my query past you all.

    I have just started to have driving lessons (with hand controls) for a number of reasons which included, husband leaving me, living in an isolated place, ILF funding finishes in 2015 for starters.

    My eyesight is obviously good enough to drive although I wear varifocals and because my eyesight is so bad (my mother contracted rubella while carrying me) I have had to have YAG laser treatment as I had the first signs of Glaucoma, I also have "poor accomodation" which means it takes me longer to focus on things than most people for example if someone shows me a photograph and then takes it away I won't have seen anything on it. While I am out and about in my wheelchair my most dangerous thing is steps and curbs especially if they are the same colour as the road, I have fallen out of my wheelchair in the past because of this, but my question is "If I put these problems down will I lose my driving license even before I get it" ? I am ok driving its just the curbs and steps I have problems with ? Shall I miss it out about my eyesight ?

    Please don't think I am trying to con the system its all true what I say

    many thanks for reading
    there is no middle road here you have to decide with the advice of the drs, your fit to drive or not and if your fit to drive with eyes corrected by glasses or surgery thats it. your eyes would be counted as being ok, if you then try and say you have ""poor accomodation" the question has to be what did dvla say when you reported this to them as if you have this eye problem you must have reported it ?

    you cant have it both ways have an eye problem and score points for it on esa form and be fit to drive, unlike missing arms or legs where you could have it both ways in some cases


    start here http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/a...Disorders.aspx

    you have a duty of care to other road users to get it checked before someone gets hurt IMO

  3. #3
    I have had my eyes tested by my instructor and they are fine its just that I struggle with curbs that are the same colour as the road. I aren't putting anyone in danger by driving so I guess the answer is my eyes are fine.

    Like I said previously I aren't trying to fiddle the system I am genuine and your tone seems a little aggressive IMO !

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by CardiffLady View Post
    Maureen, that's a tricky one? Wish I could help but I just don't know.
    Thank you CL,

    DW seems to have put me in my place IMO It's difficult isn't it when we have so many problems. My Mum contracted german measles when she was pregnant with me so this has left me with many disabilities. I'm trying to make a new life for myself after my husband left me last year but it seems some people can't help but kick others while we're down. Perhaps I am being over sensitive !

  5. #5
    Senior Member acheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    939
    Hi Maureen I think we all get stressed when filling in the horrid form and I don't think anyone on here would kick you when you're down so glad you're making a new life for you're self just fill the form in as honestly as possible .for me I struggled with the the question about comunicating with others yes i can talk but when i get extremly exhausted which is often (malnutrision and cfs and fibro)i can't seem to find the right words i want to use and seriously struggle but only when tired so thats what I put my sound daft but thats what its like for me so thats what I told em!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    314
    I answered honestly and got my licence suspended (sleep apnoea causes blackouts). Luckily my wife is available to do all the driving and anxiety means I dont go out in the car without her anyway .... small mercies
    Last edited by Tatty_Tat; 19-05-13 at 18:54.

  7. #7
    davewhit
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
    I have had my eyes tested by my instructor and they are fine its just that I struggle with curbs that are the same colour as the road. I aren't putting anyone in danger by driving so I guess the answer is my eyes are fine.

    Like I said previously I aren't trying to fiddle the system I am genuine and your tone seems a little aggressive IMO !
    sorry if it seems agressive thats not the idea, your eye test by your instuctor is not worth anything, and if you hit someone or something , you have no defence in saying that your instuctor is happy you can read a number plate. ..... you need to get a proper eye test and advice from the dvla give them a call have a look at there web site ... it could well be your fit to drive but I would not put money on it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member googlybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In this together
    Posts
    555
    When you say you've had your sight tested by your instructor, do you mean you were able to read a number plate at the prescribed distance?
    It's just that from how you describe your vision problems, it was suggest to me that your vision probably isn't good enough for driving, some things can move fast on the road, which you might not be able to see, and you yourself describe problems with kerbs.

    It's a tough call, you and your doctors would know best, but i think you may run into difficulties, but worse than that, could be putting yourself and others in danger...

    [EDIT] Sorry if i sound like an ATOS HCP
    Last edited by googlybear; 19-05-13 at 18:35.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by googlybear View Post
    When you say you've had your sight tested by your instructor, do you mean you were able to read a number plate at the prescribed distance?
    It's just that from how you describe your vision problems, it was suggest to me that your vision probably isn't good enough for driving, some things can move fast on the road, which you might not be able to see, and you yourself describe problems with kerbs.

    It's a tough call, you and your doctors would know best, but i think you may run into difficulties, but worse than that, could be putting yourself and others in danger...
    I agree with this post . One of my friends has just had to surrender his driving licence because he takes medication , yet he's an excellent driver and has excellent eyesight .
    Either his GP , consultant , Atos or DWP reported him taking medication to DVLA by the way before he had chance to do so . This all came about after filling in the ESA50.
    Last edited by Blueeyes; 19-05-13 at 18:29.

  10. #10
    Senior Member googlybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    In this together
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueeyes View Post
    I agree with this post .
    One of my friends has just had to surrender his driving licence because he takes medication , yet he's an excellent driver and has excellent eyesight .
    Either his GP , consultant , Atos or DWP reported him taking medication to DVLA by the way before he had chance to do so . This all came about after filling in the ESA50.
    I had a medical with ATOS in 2003 where the doctor (who gave me 0 points) suggested that DVLA be informed...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Similar Threads

  1. Just wonder please what happens next? ESA50.
    By atj in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-01-14, 08:31
  2. ESA50 form changes - question 12 in particular
    By rocon in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-01-14, 04:25
  3. Newbie Question...slightly embarrassing DLA question (Adult Toilet Needs)
    By dungiving in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 28-01-13, 12:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •