Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabled, will council move me???

Disabled, will council move me???

Hi everyone,

Just a brief history.......I am 35 with a 15 year old son living in West Sussex. Last year I had major spinal surgery which has resulted in long term health and mobility problems and has left me disabled.

I currently live in a first floor council flat but am finding it increasingly difficult to navigate the stairs as my leg tends to give way due to nerve damage and it is also painful to climb the stairs.

I basically would like to know if it is likely that the council would agree to move me to a ground floor accommodation because of my disabilities?

If so how would I go about starting this process and what is the process likely to be i.e. do I have to bid on properties etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
    Emma

I would contact the council and explain your situation. If there is a potential case for rehousing your GP will be contacted. You would then apply for properties in the normal manner but will be given medical priority for suitable housing. That's how it worked for us anyway

Yes, contact your nearest Social Services and they should put you in contact with the OT. This will probably be the best person. They will assess your needs . Good luck

Follow above advice and you shouldn't have any difficulty being given priority. You will probably need a bungalow with adaptations - wet room etc. Susie

All LA's are different but the over riding issue will be housing stock.
    Firstly make an application, after due process you will be put on the list and given a number which you then use to bid on properties. They usually have a kind of gold,silver and bronze system, those in gold group will have priority over others.
    The list usually includes local HA's but if not you can contact them seperately.
    I have to tell you that it's a bad situation for most LA's and without adequate stock there are far more priorities than accomodation with families living in B&B for years. As you already have a property this will greatly lower your priority, even with your health needs.
    Maybe an exchange is a possibilty.
    All you can do is apply and hopefully find somewhere.

i would suggest getting a letter of support from your doctors to support a home move on health grounds and you should find most doctors will do a letter for this.

once you have a letter then contact your local council housing officer team and ask for someone to come out and fill in an application form, this is now done on computers, your medical needs will then go in front of a board and they will decide which banding you will be placed in on the council housing scheme.

once your application is live you can then bid for what ever but be warned don't get expectations as there is a real shortage of homes.

also a good idea to contact some housing associations which is what we did and by luck got a move with one in the next few weeks. (make sure to send them any supporting medical letters which will get more points and priority)

with such a shortage it took us here 6 months and many others have been trying for years so pleased be warned about this situation.

Whoever holds the housing register needs to give you a priority banding/points. That depends on whether or not you are appropriately housed, which you may not be if you are struggling with stairs. Maybe an OT would install a stairlift or other mobility device, more likely they'd look at alternative housing options. In my area, you have to bid on properties and the person with the highest priority gets it. Councils vary.

Hi Emma, just over 6 years ago i got moved into a ground floor mid terraced bungalow from a first floor flat from a housing association due to the points system, Obviously i'd been on the waiting list for a while too, it all happened quite quickly but you do need to chase things up and get as much help as possible ... I guess too it depends on individual councils and there policy's and budget, but yes they can help you into more suited accommodation or should be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    Whoever holds the housing register needs to give you a priority banding/points. That depends on whether or not you are appropriately housed, which you may not be if you are struggling with stairs. Maybe an OT would install a stairlift or other mobility device, more likely they'd look at alternative housing options. In my area, you have to bid on properties and the person with the highest priority gets it. Councils vary.
    Well the major issue I am having is with the stairs (communal) as I am on the first floor so they would not be able to put a lift in for me because obviously 5 other flats have use of them.
    I know the council here works on a banding/bidding system as that is how I was housed from a hostel into my home a couple of years ago. I really do love my home and don't want to leave it but I cannot cope with the stairs daily.
    It would be different if I only had to climb them once a day but whenever I have to go out or even put gas on my meter I struggle with them.

So you all think I should call the council and have a chat about it with them and call Social services to get an OT?

Quote Originally Posted by emmafifema View Post
    I really do love my home and don't want to leave it but I cannot cope with the stairs daily
    Emma this is what I've focused on in your dilemma, we all build up a home, make it our own, however if your disability is getting on top of you seek support, I was in exact same situation as you 6 or so years back, I got so I could not do the stairs to my first floor flat, my Sister nagged me, see the council, get things done ETC, with my fatigue it was hard work, but we got there, you need to get moved Emma, please try and get help to do this.