Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Letter from ex-address re: council tax of £234.56!

Quote Originally Posted by Unruhe View Post
    Tell them to get bent, cheeky sods.
    Whilst there maybe a possibilty of that solving the problem with the LA, if it's passed to a recovery agency that phrase hardly ever works with 2 burly bailiffs on your doorstep.

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    Whilst there maybe a possibilty of that solving the problem with the LA, if it's passed to a recovery agency that phrase hardly ever works with 2 burly bailiffs on your doorstep.
    agree and the other point is, if you found they had been under paying you for ages you would want the cash, so if you owe them you should take it on the chin and cough up

Thanks for latest posts!

Davewhit I hear you and if so I will pay up as long as they have calculated it correctly and again if they have followed correct course of justice! This is why I have asked if anybody knows if a single male (at the time under 35 years of age) receiving long term Inc Ben with the age addition and also receiving low rate care DLA, would have been entitled to income support even if it had not been applied for?

Back then I was a newcomer to the welfare benfit scene and did not what I was allowed to claim/entitled to-if I knew then what I know now, with all the help available, I would be in a much more confident position of tackling it head on. But cannot for the life of me work out or find the means of calculating my situation back to 2003/04.

Anybody help out on this calculation or need any more information to enable them to do so...would as always be eternally grateful.

In the old days it was common practice that the DSS would not advise you of eligible benefits and the onus was on the claimant to request them.
    I can't help with calculations that far back, I think anyone would struggle to get that info, but for me the bottom line is that they will claim it's not their responsibility that you didn't claim what you may or may not have been entitled to.
    IMHO you are going to be up against it with this one but of course you pick your battles.
    All the best

They also enclosed copies of related bills, as downloads, giving the dates:
    1/4/2003 - 31/3/2004 in the sum of £120.77 (after single persons discount)
    1/4/2004 - 12/09/2004 in the sum of £113.79 (after single person discount).
    Greetings [spencer69] if it helps you apply for Incapacity Benefit, but if you have
    not paid enough class 1 stamps you get paid Income Support instead, also if you
    had been unemployed for more than 6 months prior to illness your class 1 stamps
    would have ran out & you get paid Income Support.

Another way to determine what benefit you received is did you pay for your
    prescription drugs?

If yes, then you were on Incapacity Benefit & are liable for council tax.
    If no, then you were on Income Support & not liable for council tax.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/...tore/ben03.pdf
    Income Support = 77.95 PW or 155.90 PF
    Incapacity Benefit = 87.30 PW or 174.60 PF
    DLA Lower = 15.15 PW or 30.30 PF or 60.60 PM

http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/.../benrate04.pdf
    Income Support = 79.35 PW or 158.70 PF
    Incapacity Benefit = 89.70 PW or 179.40 PF
    DLA Lower = 15.55 PW or 31.10 PF or 62.20 PM

Firstly, Again many thanks for replies. Wobble, you're correct and it is the information anc calculation that I am tryinf to find out but obviously resources are very limited. If, at the end of the day 'they' are correct and they have followed procedure, and at the end of the day I (if I do) rightly owe the sums, then I will 'pay up'!

Secondly, and maybe if last poster can help any further, ASI Industries, thank you for the smounts listed. Are you able to go further, as it wasn't just Incapacity Benefit that comes into the calculation. There is also the fact that I was receiving DLA-low care rate-which would have added a premium to the council tax calculation. It is not just those figures which need to be taken into account but also the then amounts to calculate either if my income was below or above what I think is/was referred to as the 'applicable amount' and from that figure whether I would have been exempt from council tax or if I was liable to pay part.

Are you able to assist further in the above calculation?

Would be very grateful if you can assist on this particular point.

Firstly you cannot get both Incapacity Benefit & Income Support at the same time,
    DLA is not counted even if it is bundled with your weekly or fortnightly benefit.

The Amounts i listed are based upon a single person on long-term rate & they
    became ill before they were 35 years old.

If those circumstances do not apply to you the weblinks each contain 7 pages of text for
    main benefits, so you can adapt the benefit components to fit your circumstances.

Benefits 2003
    http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/...tore/ben03.pdf
    Benefits 2004
    http://www.hertsdirect.org/infobase/.../benrate04.pdf

A single person discount is 25% off council tax.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...ouncil_tax.htm
    http://tinyurl.com/8pjzdhy

Hi ASI Industries, Thanks again for response. I do not know if you have understood my query fully on the basis of your 1st paragrpah of last post! You can get Incapacity Benefit and Income Support at the same time. You will find many people in this situation. Prior to my migration from IB to ESA (IR) being placed in the support group, our household income was made up of:
    IB
    DLA HRM
    DLA MRC
    CA
    and Income Support.

This was our situation for a number of years before ESA came along (but not the circumstances going as far back as original post!).
    This was because the additional premiums added to our circumstances fell short of the income that was 'taken into account' and ass there was a shortfall this was topped up with income support.

It is these figures that I am after going back to 2003/04.

Regards.

Sorry, I also forgot to add (for ASI) and any further help they can give, the fact that, I lived in the flat for some 18 months maybe upto 2 years before these bills came to light, this would be the years 2001/02. I definately received income support from first moving into the flat, as I recall laughing at the paltry amount of just over £2.00 per week, but did not realise the importance of having Income Support being granted, as at that stage I was a newcomer to the whole benefit system.

My incapacity benefit had no gaps in payments nor did my low rate dla. I remember, dla was granted in the first instance for 18 months of 2 years and I had to complete a new form to see if my circumstances had changed, and as they hadn't this was returned, still the award of low rate care but now indefinite!