Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter from ex-address re: council tax of £234.56!

Account removed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornwall View Post
    Surely if on IS Income support you were exempt from council tax? If this is the case then ask them very politely how they came to the total mentined.
    Human error or fraud springs to mind.
    Do not ring the number on the letter but get the council number from the web or a current bill. Also google the number on the letter you recieved.

Yes and that would be a very good question.... but the debt does look odd £234.56 we do know of a tax scam doing the rounds , but this would be the first council tax scam...

Account removed
    Beware fake council tax demand
    By Andrew Penman on February 28, 2012 4:06 PM in tax

What's happening to the quality of crooks these days?

Some semi-literate root vegetables have been sending bogus demands for alleged unpaid council tax.

The letter that we've seen was sent to a 17-year-old who doesn't pay the tax, "County" was written "Conty", the itemised amounts did not add up to the alleged total owed and the Central Bedfordshire Council logo was incorrect. How difficult is it to cut and paste from Google images?

But there's a sinister side to this otherwise inept scam - the crooks threaten to carry out an "agent visit" to collect the claimed arrears.

Maurice Jones, executive member for corporate resources at Central Bedfordshire, urged anyone getting a suspect bill to contact the council, saying: "Customers should be vigilant given we will be issuing our annual bills in March."

I' helping out at my local charity just wrote the above article and my mate said that the demand you have had looks like one of a number of scams doing the rounds....

I agree with Cornwall's comment. Phone the council direct, not the number on the letter. Also, as stated, if you were getting IS, then you should have had CTB, which would mean paying either, no CT or a reduced amount. Were you in reciept of CTB at the time? It all sounds very fishy to me and I would proceed with caution. Do not hand over any money until conclusive proof is given by the council that you owe them this money. Good Luck.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Google the phone no given, if it's genuine it will direct you to the council, if it's a scam then there could be others and it will probably be listed.

To All and many thanks for your replies. Now for the uptodate situation:

I emailed council tax office concerned (via search on website and not from email supplied on potential scam letter) enquiring if this was a genuine letter and informing them that at time I was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit, DLA and Income Support.

They emailed back confirming that letter was genuine, so that part is out of the way. They also confirmed that their records show that I was in receipt of Incapacity Benefit and DLA but they make no mention of Income Support!

They also enclosed copies of related bills, as downloads, giving the dates:
    1/4/2003 - 31/3/2004 in the sum of £120.77 (after single persons discount)
    1/4/2004 - 12/09/2004 in the sum of £113.79 (after single person discount).

Out of interest they only supplied the front of the bills and not the reverse or any pages detailing my then income, which is now where I need your further expertise and guidance!

During the time of the above bills I was in my early 30's and as confirmed by council tax office, in receipt of Incapacity Benefit (which I had been by that time for over 2 years) and DLA (Low Rate Care) and a social tenant living alone.

My question to those who can hopefully assist is, would somebody in the above circumstances be entitled to Income Support, and if this is the case would you be able to point me in the direction of where I can obtain proof?

The reason why I ask is that when I took up a tenancy (I had back then been diagnosed with cancer-non hodgkins lymphoma stage 3b and undergoing chemotherapy for 10 months) I remember applying for DLA and was awarded Low Care Rate and received a backdated giro (as back then we had to go to the post office with our girobooks for those who can remember) for Income Support. However, I cannot recall applying for Income Support as this may have been linked automatically. Furthermore, I did not take this part of my medical history too well resulting amongst other things, and after finishing my treatment, I then went on to abusing alcohol, which lasted 'til June of 2004 when I was taken into A&E when shortly after fell into coma for best part of fortnight-I have since been teetotal.

So, If I can prove I was in receipt of Income Support, or if not at least entitled, then this may shine a different light on the situation.

Finally, in addition to the above, I have began to make searches in respect of council tax bills 'over 6 years old' and this is another minefield but may hold some answers, as far I have found out, this maybe 'statute barred', but I will leave this for another time, in the not too distant future!

Many thanks again for forthcoming responses

Firstly they are not statute barred, which I think I mentioned before.
    IS on IB would apply but only if you were eligible and you would have had to apply.
    Unraveling this one is going to take some doing.

Hi Wobble, Thanks for your quick reply. The only thing that makes me think that this type of debt could be statute barred is I found the following on ‘consumeractiongroup’ website, which reads:

'They shouldn't ask for a liability order for Council Tax more than six years after the Council Tax became due. This is under Regulation 34(3) Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.
    But providing they got the Liability Order within 6 years of the amount becoming due then they can collect the balance until it's paid or otherwise cleared irrespective of how long this takes as it will never become SB.'

So have I read this correctly or getting completely wrong end of stick, that if previous council applied for Liability Order against me then it is still recoverable from me, but if there is no liability order (previous council have made no mention of this at all) then it should be considered 'statute barred' and not recoverable by law?

Really getting stressed, mind doing funny things. It would help if some of these online benefit calculators went back as far as 2003/04, but cannot find one!

davewhit
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post
    Hi Wobble, Thanks for your quick reply. The only thing that makes me think that this type of debt could be statute barred is I found the following on ‘consumeractiongroup’ website, which reads:

'They shouldn't ask for a liability order for Council Tax more than six years after the Council Tax became due. This is under Regulation 34(3) Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.
    But providing they got the Liability Order within 6 years of the amount becoming due then they can collect the balance until it's paid or otherwise cleared irrespective of how long this takes as it will never become SB.'

So have I read this correctly or getting completely wrong end of stick, that if previous council applied for Liability Order against me then it is still recoverable from me, but if there is no liability order (previous council have made no mention of this at all) then it should be considered 'statute barred' and not recoverable by law?

Really getting stressed, mind doing funny things. It would help if some of these online benefit calculators went back as far as 2003/04, but cannot find one!
    There is only a very small chance its not statute barred, Councils are set up to claim back money from council tax shop rates and other bills

they do this stuff everyday, you need legal advice and you should of course ask for proof of the liability order, but my money is on them having one......... councils are not daft they will have the order, as they would know its not worth coming after you if they have no chance of getting the money.... unless they are trying it on. make contact with CAB asap to see what your postion is.

Quote Originally Posted by spencer69 View Post

Noy being a legal boffin I couldn't comment on that extract of law you quoted, it is right in essence but as far as I know a debt to the Government cannot be statute barred and I assume LA's are Govt depts.
    If I remember rightly, you said they had threatened a door step call. If so and this is a bailiff call then there must have been some due process in law through the court.
    The stage it is at now the onus will be entirely up to you to prove that you are not liable.
    Time isn't on your side if you have bailiffs calling, maybe pay and try to recover money when you have proof.

It may not be statute barred but due to the time that's elapsed it is not reasonable to recover this debt. Go to CAB and ask them for anything to back this up. I advised someone with, believe it or not, an invoice for unpaid Community Charge from 1992. We got it written off, essentially because of caselaw and LG guidance on when debts should be recovered. The LA has discretion not to recover. Tell them to get bent, cheeky sods.

This was Liverpool City Council.