Thread: Personal Information Query

Personal Information Query

I copied this extract from an Anon post in a Facebook group :

The People Vs The Government, DWP and Atos
    5 hours ago

Anon: I didn't want to put my name up on a public site, but I wanted to point out something with regards to the changes in council tax benefit information gathering:

Very long message sorry but I felt that I had to say this somewhere!

It seems the UK government now have carte blanche to look into your whole life if you claim benefits. I was blazing mad this morning. I received my council tax bill; I already knew that I would be exempt from paying it under the new local schemes as I receive middle rate care. I was also aware that at any time the Department of Works and Pensions could access my bank accounts and savings, but I presumed that they only did this when some kind of fraud was suspected or discovered.

I was wrong. On a new separate sheet explaining why I was exempt, it contained a list of benefits that I receive and their exact amounts; I haven't told them this info for a couple of years now, but fair enough the DWP share the info presumably to save the yearly trip to the council to have your documentation scanned. Shockingly though, it also detailed exactly what I have in my current account, savings account, and care account. They had accessed all of my bank accounts without my permission

Q: Is permission required to view bank accounts? Have you given this permission be accepting benefits?

it is a fact of life now that big brother is watching every thing we do, not only outside but when you use a computer it gives out an I.P address and even that can be traced to the exact location the person is using it from. (same goes for mobile phones we use again can be traced to your location)

Interesting. When you sign benefit forms it usually states that you give permission for them to contact others, if that includes banks I've no idea. HMRC have the legal right to but then there is still such a thing as the data protection act so.....
    Interesting but disturbing.

davewhit
    When I moved from IB to ESA i called Council Tax office to tell them they knew as DWP computer is conected to council tax and housing benefit also any change in esa ib or dla is reported to your gp by letter

Quote Originally Posted by wobble1 View Post
    Interesting. When you sign benefit forms it usually states that you give permission for them to contact others, if that includes banks I've no idea. HMRC have the legal right to but then there is still such a thing as the data protection act so.....
    Interesting but disturbing.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10923819
    Very complicated, read it several times but still non the wiser as to what legal right they have outside an actual ongoing criminal investigation. Although it appears they are able to gather enough info without needing permission.
    Big Brother indeed. All makes a bit of a mockery of data protection.

Shame they don't use this same process to access our medical records to see how sick or disabled we are, instead forcing upon us the onus to prove that, even if that means having to fork out considerable sums for doctors to write supporting letters etc.
    Just another example of the imbalance
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Googlybear ..... that's my thought too. For the purposes of ESA and DLA we have to do all of the running in order to ensure a fair hearing and fork out ££ for reports to substantiate a claim. But when it comes to acquiring info that might quosh a claim the DWP et al seem to just have to press a botton ??

Account removed
    I did not know you could get lower council tax for having middle rate care.

But did you know until a year ago anyone could have entered your council house and carried out a search, this was another New Labour rule ended by the Tories anyone being a local council official which may have been your bin man.

But yes you can have any and all information checks even to your Tesco shopping or retail cards to banks to back ground checks for getting any state benefits including pension credits, love New Labour.