Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TV series - SKINT

New TV series - SKINT

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/p...ormation/skint

Realistic depiction of life on benefits or Jeremy Kyle meets Daily Mail journalism ?

I bet I can guess which.

I would think this is being done to fuel the "welfare sub-human" views held by many thanks to cameron et al. Reading this morning about welfare claimants are now regarded as a totally different sub-culture, this programme will re-enforce those views.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatty_Tat View Post
    http://www.channel4.com/info/press/p...ormation/skint

Realistic depiction of life on benefits or Jeremy Kyle meets Daily Mail journalism ?

I bet I can guess which.

Hmm yes I think I will be giving this one a miss. Why oh why must producers use stereotypes to depict poverty. It's about time we could watch a programme which depicts people who have a normalised life, do not do drugs, shoplift or any other criminal activity, but find themselves in reduced circumstances reliant upon Benefits to survive. I myself am one of the superscrimpers brigade lol

Have not clicked the link (sorry Tatty) but like others i can just imagine its a loaded gun with the usual divide and conquer tactics on the poor and disabled by focusing on the few who do exploit the system, designed to get the pitchfork mentality crowd whipped up into a fervour once more and make Cameron and IDS's job all the more easier.

Got to hand it to Cameron, he's a genius, an evil one mind! who has the nation whipped up into a frenzy over the stereotypical disabled and sick abusing the system by telling those lucky to have a job, Your doing the right thing, presumably because like me and many here are no longer or were never able to do the right thing i dont think Labour are any better any-more to be honest, after all their protests not once have we seen them say this persecution of the poor and disabled must stop ... make no mistake, even if they are voted in again and thats possible, there is no reversing what has been done, Milliband is laughing all the way to the bank, he knows Cameron is doing the footwork, Labour has already said even if we get in there are some policys we cant change, be sure ours is one of them and if questioned he will just say as Torys say about them, this is the legacy of our last Goverment.

Its all tit for tat politics now where the easy targets are hit first and in the case of that Abu bloke especially, even Cameron does not have the gonads to really do something about it.

I despair for our country now, I really do.

Sorry for ranting

Our combined income was nearly £80k before I became too ill to work and my wife became my carer. We live off less than 25% of that now. Neither of us drink nor smoke and the only drugs we score cost £7.85 a throw and that's not by choice.
    Last edited by Tatty_Tat; 11-05-13 at 10:42. Reason: typo

I'm going to be watching. 3 Episodes starting Monday 13th at 9pm

The blurb from the link is:

Brand new three-part observational documentary series, Skint tells provocative and revealing stories from the inside out about how people survive without work. The series focuses on the lives of a group of people who are either in long-term unemployment, have never worked, or are growing up without any expectation of working.

With access over nine months in Scunthorpe, Skint follows a father and step-father of seven, who used to work at the steelworks, and his friends and neighbours, many of whom live on an estate in one of the most deprived areas of the town. At its height the steelworks employed 27,000 people. It now employs a sixth of that number. With work continuing to be hard to find, the people featured in this series are thrown back on their own resources.

Told with energy, humour and boldness, this series offers an insight into their lives: highlighting social issues such as youth unemployment, crime, welfare dependency, truancy and addiction; but with the characters also revealing their ingenuity, resilience, community support and love and pride of family.

Skint gets behind the headlines as people, often maligned for their lifestyle, offer their own story and show the real impact of worklessness – both today and over generations.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I'm going to be watching. 3 Episodes starting Monday 13th at 9pm

The blurb from the link is:

Brand new three-part observational documentary series, Skint tells provocative and revealing stories from the inside out about how people survive without work. The series focuses on the lives of a group of people who are either in long-term unemployment, have never worked, or are growing up without any expectation of working.

With access over nine months in Scunthorpe, Skint follows a father and step-father of seven, who used to work at the steelworks, and his friends and neighbours, many of whom live on an estate in one of the most deprived areas of the town. At its height the steelworks employed 27,000 people. It now employs a sixth of that number. With work continuing to be hard to find, the people featured in this series are thrown back on their own resources.

Told with energy, humour and boldness, this series offers an insight into their lives: highlighting social issues such as youth unemployment, crime, welfare dependency, truancy and addiction; but with the characters also revealing their ingenuity, resilience, community support and love and pride of family.

Skint gets behind the headlines as people, often maligned for their lifestyle, offer their own story and show the real impact of worklessness – both today and over generations.
    Please let us know how it is Paul, sorry if i seem bitter, but i don't trust the media from anywhere to report without sensationalism persecution anymore.

I am in two minds about this, not sure if I want to see it or not. I must admit I cringed when I read about it, but I suppose you can not know until you do watch it. So........I suppose I will watch the 1st one to see what it is like
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

ooh dancing i use to love it, going out enjoying life now i,m a borderline hermit don,t think i,ll be watching might ask OH to watch if he says it was alright might watch it on demand

With all of you here, especially my loss of Motorcycle's, cant ride anymore but had the good fortune or good luck to have my old Biker friends drag me out of the house recently for a get together, it took them two goes over different weekends as I was stalling at first and preferred to live alone, but it was cool, a great night, nobody looked down on me and i got some confidence back again, cant believe how I've changed over the years.